Recognise HD's

tibboh

Arte et Marte
Have built a couple of 'puters from scratch and have always renewd or reformatted HD's before installing them. The question is my daughters's one I use as backup is on the way out an I want to build a new one, but keep her HD's as they are - but I did read somewhere that the new motherboard sometimes have problems recognising an HD from another/old 'puter if it is just thrown in.

Am I talking b_ll_c_s, or is there some truth?

Regards

(PS lost my password so I am back to 1st posting - boo hoo)

With XP, you'll have more problems than it's worth if you move a boot drive to another computer, if you can even get it to boot at all.

Stay with the same chipset manufacturer and the transfer should go fairly well. I've done it several times with VIA chipsets.

DO NOT try and do the change over if the chipset manufacturers are different between the new and old MB. This is a guaranteed disaster.

To minimize risk do the folowing:
-Back up your daughters valuable data. (Songs, boyfriends emails, web links, etc.)
-Turn off all MB "on board" features (sound, LAN, etc.) except video, you need that.
-Uninstall any odd ball stuff she has like video capture, netcam, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back