Recognise HD's

tibboh

Arte et Marte
Have built a couple of 'puters from scratch and have always renewd or reformatted HD's before installing them. The question is my daughters's one I use as backup is on the way out an I want to build a new one, but keep her HD's as they are - but I did read somewhere that the new motherboard sometimes have problems recognising an HD from another/old 'puter if it is just thrown in.

Am I talking b_ll_c_s, or is there some truth?

Regards

(PS lost my password so I am back to 1st posting - boo hoo)

LeeJend

OSNN Veteran Addict
Stay with the same chipset manufacturer and the transfer should go fairly well. I've done it several times with VIA chipsets.

DO NOT try and do the change over if the chipset manufacturers are different between the new and old MB. This is a guaranteed disaster.

To minimize risk do the folowing:
-Back up your daughters valuable data. (Songs, boyfriends emails, web links, etc.)
-Turn off all MB "on board" features (sound, LAN, etc.) except video, you need that.
-Uninstall any odd ball stuff she has like video capture, netcam, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut