Rebooting of desktop

jfazalare

OSNN Newbie
I am a beginner to the wireless networking world and I just installed my first network. I used a Linksys wireless G router, which is connected via ethernet cord to my desktop. I also have a laptop on the network. My question is this: my desktop keeps restarting on its own. I can log into windows, then 2 minutes later it reboots on its own. This never happened before and I know that it is the network because once I unplug the cord from the router to the desktop, it will not restart. The laptop is working just fine. Any ideas? thanks for the help.

I don't really see how it has anything to do with the network, however it may be more related to a virus or piece of spyware/malware that gets it's strength from an active network/internet connection.

Can you please post a Hijackthis log?

Have you done scans with your antivirus and any spyware programs?

Does it Blue Screen and reboot, or just reboot?

May also be related to something overheating, but based on your description I would put that pretty far down the list of possibilities.

Thread moved to Windows Desktop.

Thanks for the reply. I did run a virus scan and came up with nothing. The PC just reboots with no bluescreen. The overheating is a good question. I do not have a thermometer on the machine but I will tell you that the case is well ventilated and the computer which I built myself (I feel like) is well cooled.

The overheating wouldn't be as much as a candidate if it doesn't happen when not connected to a network connection.

Have you checked in your system event viewer to find out if anything is logged which may be causing the reboots?

Start - run - eventvwr.msc

maybe turn off the auto restart option too for diagnostic purposes? You can check the event viewer log is turned on while there - control panel > System Properties > startup and recovery

maybe turn off the auto restart option too for diagnostic purposes? You can check the event viewer log is turned on while there - control panel > System Properties > startup and recovery
If the machine isn't blue screening I wouldn't think that would be an issue, but it's possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back