Reasonably Priced Firewall Recommendation

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I'm looking for a hardware-based firewall device that I can setup and install on my network.

Some of my needs are changing, and a few of the things I need to be able to do are the following:

• Block particular websites and domains
  • Block certain programs accessing the web based on their port information
  • Log website usage and activity
I have used higher end stuff to do this, but want something a bit more cost effective if possible.

I am also open to a software based option, since the server is the point of contact for all machines on the network anyways.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Juniper Netscreen :)

We use the 5GT series for smallums and I've no idea what the 19" ones are :)

Decent little boxes though.

Well it is only about a 12 user environment.

I'm looking at scalability - something that is small and cost effective enough now, but gives them the room to grow feature-wise going forward.

This all comes up because of a few past problematic workers now and ones in the past that abused the system. I want to be able to block ports so they can't do certain "things", and also log where they go.

depends what you consider "reasonably priced" :)

You could go real cheap and grab a sonicwall or something along those lines :)

I was looking at sonicwall actually, I have worked with those in the past and they work well.

Any model recommendation?

sorry..

can't give any model rec's.. haven't looked at any of their recent models in the last couple years.

I have been looking at Smoothwall actually, just have to dig through their site and check some features.

Do you have links to the mods I would need?

For what its worth, we are using the SonicWall Pro3060, enhanced OS, for our routing, VPN, and firewalling needs, and it works great. I was skeptical at first because of the low cost, but I would have to say that I have been pleasantly suprised. We have specific ports blocked and open, but this model does not allow domain names and website names to be blocked. I am sure SonicWall has a device that does this. Go to their website, and call sales.

For what its worth, we are using the SonicWall Pro3060, enhanced OS, for our routing, VPN, and firewalling needs, and it works great. I was skeptical at first because of the low cost, but I would have to say that I have been pleasantly suprised. We have specific ports blocked and open, but this model does not allow domain names and website names to be blocked. I am sure SonicWall has a device that does this. Go to their website, and call sales.

Good recommendation, but a bit out of my price range. I was hoping to keep whatever the solution less than $500 USD.

Is this for home or work?

Work, kind of. Small environment I am in charge of that only has about 12 users. It's a test environment but it has to be a stable solution.

i would have suggested that if he did not specify a hardware firewall in his inital post.

Software may be my best option though wrt to cost, need to check into smoothwall a bit.

Would either smoothwall, or a linux-based solution be able to handle PPPoE or would I still need a Linksys or similar device in there to handle that?

thanks guys - hope to have some time to research and tinker this weekend :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back