Really wierd connection issue

Mr._Fubar

OSNN Junior Addict
I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem. Every time I download or stream something, ANYTHING, it starts downloading the object directly to cache and doesn't allow access until it's downloaded about 6-8MB worth of whatever it's doing (if it's smaller than that then it'll wait until it's downloaded the whole thing) THEN it'll load from cache and stream/download the rest as it normally should. The only time something downloads normally is if I use a torrent. Every browser behaves the same way with downloading/caching in this manner.

This is screwing with the auto-updaters on some of my programs because it makes them think my connection is timing out when in fact it's caching the update without allowing access until the aforementioned point. I've had this issue since August and cannot seem to find a solution. It's also making online movie streams appear to not load at all and refuse playback, then something like a minute later, if it's something like a 7 minute YouTube video, half of the thing will load all at once, then the rest will stream normally and it'll allow playback. I have no issues otherwise with either the computer or the internet connection, both are perfectly stable and run consistently most of the time. The issue only affects anything I download; uploading files is as it should be. A minor (actually a mildly amusing) side effect is that it fools speed tests into thinking my download speed is 10-15 times faster than it really is.

The system is currently a Windows XP SP3 RC2 build; Intel DP35DP board with the latest BIOS and driver updates, C2D E6320, XFX 7600GT with 169.28 drivers, 320GB Seagate Barracuda, Asus 18X DVD burner, 2GB of Corsair ValueSelect DDR2, and a 400w Enermax Liberty (which I'll upgrade sooner or later to a Corsair or PC Power and Cooling unit). The system was built in June and the hardware hasn't changed since then (but hoping to change that soon).

Any help on this is VERY greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Bump... does anyone have any ideas here? I've also noticed a strange issue with Newegg on Firefox; it won't load more than 2 pages/tabs of the site at a time. It simply sits with the loading bar at half-way, with just a dark blank page, then about 3 minutes later it'll load all the pages at once (sometimes it won't even load all the content on the pages, but it'll do most of it; after another minute or so it'll load the rest of the content on all the pages if it hasn't done so already and be done with it).

If I close the tab and then CTRL+F12 (which restores the tab), it'll force that tab to load about half the images and most of the text on that page, then wait until the other tabs load and then finish loading itself. This ONLY happens with Newegg, and ONLY on Firefox. It's not a problem on their end, as I can load multiple pages in Opera/IE and they'll load right up with no delays or problems (which rules out most anything else as a possible culprit).

I'm getting the feeling I can tinker with something in about:config to fix this, but I don't know what. I've already asked at MozillaZine and didn't get any help (I did get a response, but it didn't help, and the topic was left alone after I had responded to the first reply so now it's probably gone, what with how busy their forums are).

It would alleviate the little stress I have with my equipment if these issues could be corrected. They're minor pains, but I really hardly ever have any problems, so proportionally they're just huge headaches. None of the other computers in my house have any issues remotely similar to what I have in front of me.

Whatever insight or help you guys could provide would do a lot of good. Thanks in advance.

i would check with your isp to see if there are any issues on your part of the network

There aren't any problems with the connection itself (aside from the occasional CRC and RS FEC errors in the DSL network, but those only started in January when we got hit with tons of snow, but that didn't really affect anything as far as downloading or uploading or even playing games goes since the problem didn't get any better or worse since late last year... ah, winter). Everything else works just perfect and the other machines in the house don't have any of the same problems that I do.

Yes, I have a fairly complete security setup in place and just ran a deep sweep with all my anti-crapware apps last night. Nothing significant was picked up by any of them (which includes 4 different spyware scanners, an anti-rootkit scanner, and Kaspersky Antivirus). I haven't had any problems with viruses or spyware since I built the machine.

uninstall sp3 rc2 see if it clears up - other thing i would suggest is check for latest drivers on your chipset and nic card

I had cleared that out as a possibility in my first post. The problems arose while I still had SP2, and I updated my network drivers about 2 weeks ago (there are newer ones available but I can't find a download), which didn't fix them.

There also hasn't been a new chipset driver release since August, but I hadn't updated the chipset until late in January.

Edit; if you want to communicate via IM of any sort, PM me (I'm fairly flexible, but prefer MSN). I'll be back on about 10-12 hours after this edit, and I'll be able to talk then.

Last edited:
I suggest you check your register for errors, with a programm like ccleaner or Iobits Advanced Windows Care personal (both are free programms)

I ran registry cleanups with both programs and rebooted. Neither cleanup really had any effect.

What version of KAV?

Set on defaults for Web AV or have you customized?

7.0.0.125, which I've used since the build (I've heard that the newer 7.0.1.321 version has some ugly issues, right now I won't deal with them and will just stick to something that's worked great for as long as I can remember). The only customizing I've done with it are with how thoroughly it scans, otherwise I'm happy just leaving it on one of the preset levels of protection. So no, I haven't customized the web-based protection part of the program.

7.0.0.125, which I've used since the build (I've heard that the newer 7.0.1.321 version has some ugly issues, right now I won't deal with them and will just stick to something that's worked great for as long as I can remember). The only customizing I've done with it are with how thoroughly it scans, otherwise I'm happy just leaving it on one of the preset levels of protection. So no, I haven't customized the web-based protection part of the program.
Newest version is 7.0.1.325 (MP1 version - with an update I think) and seems to run great. :) I had some slow to open programs with 7.0.0.125 that are now gone.

I might just try that, then, but I doubt it'd help my situation.

EDIT: Wow, I really never could have guessed Kaspersky was the cause. After I uninstalled the older version and went to download the newer version, I noticed everything behaves normally. YouTube streams function properly, multiple Newegg pages load instantly, the whole nine yards, all the problems that I outlined are GONE. I'm really hoping the newer KIS installation won't force the problems back.

Second edit; Just lovely, the problems are back with the newer version. I've even got a key for the internet security, and tried KIS, and it's not any different. I'm at least going to keep KIS until the key expires later this year, so........... any clue what I can configure in KIS in order to silence the issues?

Third edit; I did just now find a setting for fragment buffer delay and reduced it from 60 to 1, but that only fixed the issues I outlined in the first post. The issue with Newegg is still present. Hooray for progress, though. So is there another KIS setting I can change to fix this?

Last edited:
I use KAV not KIS so I don't know the settings.

Have you tried disabling the KIS firewall?

If you have not done so already you should post your problem on the Kaspersky forum as there are people there that really know all the setting of KAV/KIS.

The developers look at the problems posted there as well and will post solutions.

If the problem(s) come back with the new version I would perhaps reset your settings (incase you didn't remove them w/ the old version). I'm not 100% the layout of KIS but in KAV you would go to settings -> services -> at the bottom is "configuration manager" and choose "reset". See if that helps and then change your settings as you need.

I use KAV not KIS so I don't know the settings.

Have you tried disabling the KIS firewall?

If you have not done so already you should post your problem on the Kaspersky forum as there are people there that really know all the setting of KAV/KIS.

The developers look at the problems posted there as well and will post solutions.

Yes, I've tried disabling it. No effect. KAV didn't have a firewall so I wouldn't think that to be the problem.

Good idea.

Ugh, sorry for the double-post, but now I've got a new, unrelated issue and didn't want to make a new topic; if I try to run Windows Live Messenger, the ENTIRE MACHINE will spontaneously freeze for 2 seconds then reboot itself. Looking at the system event viewer, the following error keeps occurring right before each crash (and it doesn't just happen with WLM, Trillian and Mercury did the same thing but much less often; Pidgin always crashes itself when I try using it, but I'll save that for another time):

"The Upload Manager service failed to start due to the following error:
The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process."

Searching didn't help. What's triggering this?? I've tried just letting it fully boot, then ONLY running MSN, and as soon as I sign in, BAM! No BSOD or anything, just a 1 to 2-second freeze and auto-reboot. I can run alternative clients fairly stable, but as soon as I try to multi-task, I run the risk of crashing the machine.

Edit: I've switched the user that the service is assigned to over to the "Local system account", since most of the other instances of svchost.exe run under NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM. Maybe that'll help.

Last edited:
No BSOD or anything, just a 1 to 2-second freeze and auto-reboot. I can run alternative clients fairly stable, but as soon as I try to multi-task, I run the risk of crashing the machine.
Sounds like you have "automatic restart" set so you won't see a BSOD, Windows will just reboot. It's a very poor design (it's default setting) by MS as it makes figuring out the problem that much more complex. If you could check and see if you have it set or not that would be great, then you could give us the BSOD code and such.

Bunch of ways to do this .. quick and dirty way ...
right click on "My Computer" and go to "manage" --> a "Systems Properties" box will come up --> go to the "advanced" tab and click properties for "start up and recovery" --> under "system failure" make sure "automatic restart" is NOT check.

Won't the BSOD just tell me (in another way) the same thing that the error log does?

Edit: AGH! BSOD just now...

"BAD_POOL_CALLER

STOP: 0x000000E2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x02060001, 0x884ED7A0)"

another Edit; it just crashed again, this time it's as so;

"BAD_POOL_CALLER

STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x02060001, 0x883905F0)"

LAST Edit; I just got the following BSOD, and from the error code and process of elimination of culprits, my RAM is going bad;

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xBAD0B148, 0x00000000, 0x805BB452, 0x00000003)"

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back