Re-install Windows Xp without activation

N

Nedreplan

I have Windows Xp Home Edition.

I was informed once upon a time that when you want to re-install Windows XP you should save some files that you could paste in again afterwards, and you won't have to activate it again.

Which files are that, and where do I find them?

Thanks for your help:)

Take a glips at this thread... ;)

+ you dont have to activate anyway if you dont want to.... ;)

The wpa.dbl file in \windows\system32 stores your configuration info. If you do a reformat and reinstall, save that file off disk and then put it back in the above folder and XP will be "reactivated". Note that this will only work on the orignal system.

Thanks...!!
Yes, that was my reason, sorry for not making that clear.. I was aming to re-install windows xp on the same machine, with the same hardware...

Where do you stand if you have installed Windows XP on an old computer and then found the computer cannot run XP to how you want it to run and therefore remove Xp from that computer and carry on using (dare I say it)Windows Me? This is now in bits.

The reason I ask is that I bought a new computer a year ago with XP on and had no problems until SP1!!! Now it's slow downs and numerous problems with applications. I wish to format and start again and as I cannot use my recovery disk to reformat I want to use my legit copy of XP to install afterwards. I activated this copy when it was installed on my last computer. Surely I will not ned to buy a fresh copy of XP?:(

depends how long ago you installed xp..
if it was like 120 days or so then you'll be fine
otherwise you'll have to wait.. or ring M$ to get an activation code :p

Originally posted by PHiSHnz
depends how long ago you installed xp..
if it was like 120 days or so then you'll be fine
otherwise you'll have to wait.. or ring M$ to get an activation code :p

It was november 2001 that it was first installed. Hopefully it will not be much of a problem with Microsoft reactivation team unlike when I tried to reactivate windows XP, now that was the third degree!!

If you have to call MS they won't give you a hard time. They're pretty good.

Originally posted by Guybrush
Where do you stand if you have installed Windows XP on an old computer and then found the computer cannot run XP to how you want it to run and therefore remove Xp from that computer and carry on using (dare I say it)Windows Me? This is now in bits.

The reason I ask is that I bought a new computer a year ago with XP on and had no problems until SP1!!! Now it's slow downs and numerous problems with applications. I wish to format and start again and as I cannot use my recovery disk to reformat I want to use my legit copy of XP to install afterwards. I activated this copy when it was installed on my last computer. Surely I will not ned to buy a fresh copy of XP?:(

Why don't you uninstall SP1 or roll back the system???

Tried rolling back the system, that worked but I was unable to connect to the internet or set my account back. The error is Unable to connect to the remote manager service. Also the beast is so slow now and with a 3 minute boot up, it's time for a format.

Thanks anyway

I've had to call them a couple of times 'cuz I tweak my system out so much that occasionally it is simply FUBAR. MS has been delightful both times...AND I didn't have to spend even 10 seconds on hold waiting for a live person to talk to. Don't sweat it, baldheaded!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back