RE: CD-RW drive....

Jay T

OSNN Newbie
Looking for solution to my CD drive error when using Nero Burning Rom. The drive itself seems to function normally when I put any kind of media in, but for some reason when I insert a Blank CD-R it won't recognize the disc. When I try to burn a disc or anything related I get "please insert blank CD-R into drive" I've tried unistalling and re-installing the drivers, and playing around with the properties and the Nero properties. nothing seems to fix this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: CD-RW drive....

What brand/manufacturer is the CD-RW drive? What brand of media are you using (have you tried other types of media)? How old is the drive?

Try using some compressed air and blowing out the inside of the drive (including the lens).

Check for firmware updates.

brand is a "lite-on" something or other. Was supposed to be a decent drive, only 2 years old max. I'll give it the physical "once over", and let you know.

Thanks

Jay T, when you open your PC to take the drive out get the model number off it. Lite-ON may have a firmware update available.

Hey. Just flashed the firmware and cleaned with disk cleaner and compressed air.
No luck:cry: Any other suggestions? I"m thinkin replacement due to the fact that they are rather inexpensive these days for CD-RW's. This is for sure hardware related, not Nero, because windows is not detecting the Blank CDR's either. If I insert any other kind of media, IE previously recorded CDR's or music cds, software etc. These things read just fine.

Thanks for the help.

Jay T, if you right click the drive (in Windows Explorer) and select Properties. Go to the Recording tab. Is recording enabled?

If in fact you are considering an upgrade, you might want to consider a DVD+/-RW drive. I would stick with a brand name (Plextor is my personal favorite).

I've already checked that, but thank you. Its now recognizing 1 out of 10 cd's I try to put in. If I attempt to write anything I get multiple errors. I'll just have to shop for a new drive I guess , thanks for the suggestions!

Jay T said:
This is for sure hardware related, not Nero, because windows is not detecting the Blank CDR's either. If I insert any other kind of media, IE previously recorded CDR's or music cds, software etc. These things read just fine.

Sounds to me like the blank media you are trying to use may be defective so I would try a different brand.

Do you have more the one optical drive in your system?

Naw, my DVD drive picks up these cd's just fine, I now realize that if I just open and close the door to the affected CD-RW drive it kind of hangs a bit even if there is no cd in it. It will blink and kind of stall for a good 30 seconds or so. I've heard of alignment issues before etc. could this be a factor? I'm thinkin its garbage regardless.

Thanks guys.

Since you have more then one drive I wonder if you are making sure to select the correct drive to burn from in the drop down menu of Nero.

American Zombie said:
Since you have more then one drive I wonder if you are making sure to select the correct drive to burn from in the drop down menu of Nero.

That's not the case since he has tried windows to burn a disk with no luck. :nervous:

Ya we'll just write this one off. Thanks all

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back