RD Ram

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my amount of ram. I came aross this for my board>

MODULES MUST BE ORDERED AND INSTALLED IN PAIRS. This motherboard supports both ECC (X18) and non-ECC (X16) RDRAM. ALL RIMMs MUST be of the same type and installed IN PAIRS.

What does it mean by the same type? Is it talking about x18 & x16? Does manufactorer come into it? How do I tell if mine is x18 or x16?

When it says pairs,

it means that you are going to need to buy two sticks that are the same in every possible way. Speed, size, and probably brand also.

I used to use RD Ram, and made the mistake of just buying one stick :(

Your sytem wont run unless you have two sticks that are the same.

By the way, because it supports both ECC (X18) and non-ECC (X16), you would get a pair of one of the two types. not one of both.

Half true. When it talks about pairs you must have two sticks that are equal in MB (meaning two sticks of 128, 512, etc.). They can vary in speed (600MHz, 800MHz, etc.), however the speed will step down if you have one stick 600MHz and one stick 800MHz. Yes, it is recommended that you buy the same speed and manufacturer, although it is not a must.

ECC sets check for errors.
non-ECC doesn't.

800MHz is the speed of the RAM. Most SDRAM is ~133MHz. RDRAM is 600MHz, 800MHz, etc.

I have four 128MB cards of 800MHz RDRAM.

oh.
ECC has an extra chip present on the card.

ECC is X18
non-ECC is X16

Thanx madmat. Now one more question. How do I find out what I already have so I can get more of the same? Where do I look?

The card itself? I don't think RAM is listed in system properties, hardware manager.

SiSoft Sandra may give you some more detailled information about type and manufacturer of installed ram without taking your computer apart.

go into the bios of ur motherboard it will tell u if the ram is ECC or non-ECC from you buy the ram
they usually come in pairs...when they sell them...if not just pick up 2 of the same thing....

Posted by madmatt
Half true. When it talks about pairs you must have two sticks that are equal in MB (meaning two sticks of 128, 512, etc.). They can vary in speed (600MHz, 800MHz, etc.), however the speed will step down if you have one stick 600MHz and one stick 800MHz. Yes, it is recommended that you buy the same speed and manufacturer, although it is not a must.

I'm not sure about RD ram, but I remember back in the day when putting together old 486 comps outta spare parts, pairs meant EXACTLY the same, brand and everything.

I hope not because when I get more it is going to be the cheapest I can find. Suppose I should make sure first though. Oh I took the stick out but it did not tell me whether it was ecc or non ecc.

if you can find the manufactuer and the part or seriel number on the stick then you should be able to find all the specs for it on the manu's web site

Thanx Plexapotamus. I wrote it down somewhere. Will have a look when I find it. :)

my friend toldme RD RAMS in just one stick are now available.

is this true?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back