RC to FInal? Upgrade Possible?

I have upgraded to every leaked build since I was first given Milestone3 on this laptop and it has generally been fine, you may well need to modify a file if the installation process says it can't upgrade from that particular version but from what I have seen it works fine.

Regardless, you should definately back up any important data before you begin although even the clean install will put your old installation into WINDOWS.OLD unless you specifically format the drive during the installation.

Yea i did a full sy stem backup of my files, i dont mind re-installing my stuff but ill wait im sure someone will figure an upgrade from RC to RTM!

I have read you can not upgrade to the RTM from the RC.

It certainly isn't supported because it shouldn't really be a common occurance.

Basically, you will need to copy the contents of the CD to your hard drive and modifiy sources/cversion.ini reducing the value of MinClient to one lower than or equal to your current build number.

It certainly isn't supported because it shouldn't really be a common occurance.

Basically, you will need to copy the contents of the CD to your hard drive and modifiy sources/cversion.ini reducing the value of MinClient to one lower than or equal to your current build number.

Even if that's done correct would it still work?

The leaked Windows 7 E with no IE8 shows the upgrade screen ready to roll......

Then this

"Windows 7 Ultimate cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate E. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows 7 Ultimate E instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows 7 Ultimate E, click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”.

I haven't checked out any of the E versions myself and who knows if E will ever actually be sold.

All its missing is IE program..as i understand the files are there just not the program?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/help/installing-e

"Windows 7 launches in the UK on the 22nd October and the main version sold within the UK will be the “E version”. This includes Windows 7 E Home Premium, Windows 7 E Professional, Windows 7 E Ultimate and Windows 7 E Starter editions. This version of Windows 7 (along with the N version*) will not include a browser (for example: it will not come with Internet Explorer 8). We recommend therefore you have an Internet browser from Microsoft or from another software manufacturer saved onto a CD/DVD or another medium before you install Windows 7."

Ha, in the Windows 7 E the easiest way is to get a browser though Windows Media Player....

After a year and a half with a Mac, I'm coming back to the Windows world with a Dell Studio XPS 435t. With that purchase I qualify for a free upgrade to 7 when it comes out in October. Might any of you chaps know if I will be able to go to that version from the RC? I haven't received the computer yet and I would love to start out with a full (legal) version of 7 RC as I can't get a legal version of RTM. Any ideas?

Thanks,

You can if you modify a file then recompile the image although I recommend a clean install.

You would have to open the file cversion.ini located in the sources folder and modify the MinClient number to a number lower than the version of Windows 7 that you want to upgrade from.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back