[RANT] XBOX 360 Game Compatibility

CoDeNcE

Gene Yuss?
Even with some of the new regular xbox games will not play on the Xbox 360, is Microsoft really that power hungry. This really makes me mad because if there new then they should have made it equip with that. Why pay an extra $100 if the games wont play :mad: its Bill Gate smashin time!

Re: Microsoft b@stards

Sorry to hear about your frustration. What game/games are you having problems with?

From what I have read, it has nothing to do with being "power hungry". They are doing their best to adjust compatibility with past XBOX games to work with the XBOX360.

kcnychief said:
Sorry to hear about your frustration. What game/games are you having problems with?

From what I have read, it has nothing to do with being "power hungry". They are doing their best to adjust compatibility with past XBOX games to work with the XBOX360.

you have so much faith in MS lol

kcny: i'm sorry.... and i've hated the 360 since before it's release.... but i have to agree with him. Microsoft is flat out greedy with the 360. look at other consoles (well.... mostly PS1 and PS2, since Nintendo doesn't really fit into this batch with anything other than their handhelds). they have absolutely no problem with games being compatible from their last gen console. MS is the first to charge $100 more to play SOME Xbox games. from what i've heard, even Revolution will be backwards compatible with Gamecube games (still wondering how they'll do that.... since the Revo so far seems to be slot loaded.... yet mini-DVD's, or even mini-CD's, don't do too well in a slot load drive meant for full sized discs. then again they were also stupid to not push back the release of the 360 even though they were very far behind on production, and didn't get the developers their consoles until a week or two before the 360 was released.... among several other things it seems that MS has done wrong with the 360. They just flat out went at the backwards-compatibility bit all wrong.

Didn't they also promise, before it's release, that the 360 would be 100% compatible? or was that before they announced the 2 separate versions, one being backwards compatible with the hard drive, and one not being backwards compatible without a hard drive?

ElementalDragon said:
kcny: i'm sorry.... and i've hated the 360 since before it's release.... but i have to agree with him. Microsoft is flat out greedy with the 360. look at other consoles (well.... mostly PS1 and PS2, since Nintendo doesn't really fit into this batch with anything other than their handhelds). they have absolutely no problem with games being compatible from their last gen console. MS is the first to charge $100 more to play SOME Xbox games. from what i've heard, even Revolution will be backwards compatible with Gamecube games (still wondering how they'll do that.... since the Revo so far seems to be slot loaded.... yet mini-DVD's, or even mini-CD's, don't do too well in a slot load drive meant for full sized discs. then again they were also stupid to not push back the release of the 360 even though they were very far behind on production, and didn't get the developers their consoles until a week or two before the 360 was released.... among several other things it seems that MS has done wrong with the 360. They just flat out went at the backwards-compatibility bit all wrong.

Didn't they also promise, before it's release, that the 360 would be 100% compatible? or was that before they announced the 2 separate versions, one being backwards compatible with the hard drive, and one not being backwards compatible without a hard drive?

I do agree with some of your points, but not all. You simply can't compare the XBOX360 to systems that aren't out yet (Revolution), because anything to this point is simply heresay. Even if it has been published by the manufacturer, things can change at any moment.

I haven't really heard of or seen an incredible amount of problems with compatible games. Again, I ask for what game caused the problem. If you consult the official list, found here, it seems that they are working to resolve most issues.

celticfan11 said:
you have so much faith in MS lol

Yeah I would suppose I am guilty of that :D

Last edited:

But like the new Tomb Raider: Legends game should have been made for the transfer, expecially since its new. I know some days i have random updates on my xbox 360 for live, that kind of stuff. Could they have been trying to fix some of these problems? Thats what i've been thinking but im not sure?

Some of the updates pushed out by Xbox Live do effect this from time to time, yes.

Just glancing over these posts..
I believe the real reason why the 360 cant play retro-box games is because of cost. The cost per unit for licensing would already add to a staggering per unit cost. If Microsoft is smart they will release an xbox 360 with retro play AFTER the unit costs go down. Like say.. after the ps3 has been introduced, and they can manage to turn a profit per unit sold...

jimi_81 said:
Just glancing over these posts..
I believe the real reason why the 360 cant play retro-box games is because of cost. The cost per unit for licensing would already add to a staggering per unit cost. If Microsoft is smart they will release an xbox 360 with retro play AFTER the unit costs go down. Like say.. after the ps3 has been introduced, and they can manage to turn a profit per unit sold...

great post.

The cost of having to pay Nvidia for the rights to emulate every title would be incredibly expensive. Making the price of the console higher which would anger fans again. After a while this will not be a problem. For the few who will actually play xbox games on the 360 will go down in time and then there are no worries.

kcnychief said:
I do agree with some of your points, but not all. You simply can't compare the XBOX360 to systems that aren't out yet (Revolution), because anything to this point is simply heresay. Even if it has been published by the manufacturer, things can change at any moment.

The revolution will be targetting the older crowd with pure retroplayback availability. From what i've seen, the specs of this machine-to-be are so much inferior to the 360/PS3 that any licensing costs would be absorbed into an already low predicted unit cost.

i think this is a very unique position to take. How many of us wouldnt find it cool to play every nintendo, sega game, and new release (without the need to mod and emulate!)

The cost of having to pay Nvidia for the rights to emulate every title would be incredibly expensive.
uuh..... you kinda lost me there. why exactly would MS have to pay NVidia for the rights to emulate the games? seems like a really odd concept to me.... especially due to the fact that they could have probably made quite a bit more money by having a single version of the console (which i believe they are also a first at doing..... releasing two separate versions of a console.... with the only differences being a hard drive (which results in the backwards compatibility) and wireless controllers), having backwards compatibility from the start..... thus having less to worry about having to make two separate consoles.

OH, and did i forget to mention that the 360 now has another first for the console market..... being that it actually has an auxiliary external fan as an accessory? I think it's saying something when even the supporters of the console say "yes, this console is great, but it tends to overheat often if improperly cooled.... so HERE'S a $20 accessory to allow you to play your games for an extra hour or so before the fan is incapable of exhausting the air fast enough". and it's kinda sad because apparently at first there was a vertical stand that had a fan made by Pelican..... and the price of it dropped.... so apparently that one didn't work.... and now there's a cooler that goes right on the back of the console so that it works either vertical or laying flat... which is currently on backorder.... so apparently overheating is a pretty big issue.

sorry bout the rant.... didn't have to read it if you didn't want to....

on one last note..... kcny..... you're saying that I (as in one person) can't compare the 360 to the revolution..... and yet probably half of the people registered on this forum think the Revolution will be the runt of the litter (sounds like a good new thread+poll to start..... how many think the Revolution will be the runt of the litter..... between 360 and PS3 (depending which one takes the lead).... or if it will surpass the competition..)? that's kinda odd isn't it? I mean... people have been saying for the past what.... 4 years that the Xbox is superior to Gamecube..... and in Nintendo's last kick... they are supposedly still releasing The Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess for Gamecube with the functionality of the Revolution when it's released..... and Twilight Princess looks better than anything i've seen on Xbox....

......sorry for that rant too..... didn't really have to read that either. well... cept for maybe kcny. if he didn't read it.... then that whole rant would have been a waste of a few minutes of my time.

edit: god.... i was hoping to get this up before someone else replied.... and then it happened.
jimi: it will also be targeting the semi-younger aged people..... you know..... the FPS/RTS addicts? If the remote can do 100% of everything that Nintendo says it can do (which i'm not doubting, since there has been a magazine showing the one game coming out for Revolution...... called Red Steel), then it'll open up a whole new path of game genre's that Revolution will be the only "Next-Gen" console to handle. 360 and PS3 will be stuck with control sticks to aim.... absolutely no RTS's...... and did i mention more people sitting flat on their a** not moving anything but their thumbs and blinking every couple seconds? Think about it...... Revolution would be the one and only console where you could actually be entirely involved in the game you're trying to play. Swing your own sword any way you want...... aim your gun the way you want, be it upright or gangster style sideways position..... hell even go fishing if you feel like it from the comfort of your own home, without the boring lack of movement......

My friend said to me he always waits a full year after a consoles release to buy it so that tweaks are corrected etc... I thought he was talking crap, but now, perhaps i will wait until christmas time or until at least MS comes out with a better cooling design for the console, as i don't see why i need to pay for anything extra to make the console run, thats just dumb.

The revolution does look great through and i absolutely plan on getting it, as i hope my then 3 yr old daughter will be old enough to do something with it, apart from nibble on the rubber buttons :)

xb360 will continue to have (live) downloads that provide greater compatability with a number of games.

This doesn't mean that ALL games will be backwards compatible but it does mean that most will be.

Blaming m$ in this instance for "compatability issues" and "price gouging" is unfair because m$ never positioned their product as being backwards compatible with everything.

Technically it should be able to render those games just fine but because of the customer paths used for the xb, the emulation is not a 100% flawless science.

And there is cost as others have pointed out.

You cannot compare the xb360 to either the revolution or the ps3 because those products do not yet exist in shipping format, nor do we know of their capabilities. The xb360 does what it is supposed to do and it does it pretty well.

Also PS2 isn't 100% with PS1 games either. I remember reading an article about it somewhere, too bad I didn't save a link.

Anyway calling MS greedy for having two different consoles is funny, since MS is giving people a choice between a cheaper version and a more expensive version.

MS is there to make money. Just like Sony. Just like Nintendo. It's up to people to decide what they are going to spend their money on.

seriously though, i really don't see why anyone would buy a brand new orig. xbox nowdays... what? they aren't planning to upgrade to the new 360 later if they are the xbox fan?

of course, eventually.-- and there is where ms gets the money again... the kids that cannot afford the 360 will just get the orig. xbox now because they cannot wait to finish their 360 savings...

now, hows that for a rant ?

(and then theres people like me who couldn't wait for the bugs to be worked out, and just had to get one the day of release (pathetic aye?))

Sazar: guess you haven't read my LAST post then, have you? first kcny said it..... and now you. you're complaining about comparing the 360 to the PS3 and the Revolution since the latter two aren't released yet....... and yet seemingly everyone who was dumb enough to buy a 360 upon release or shortly thereafter.... claims that it will beat both the Revolution and the PS3. if those people can say that the console they like is already surpassing a console that's not even out yet.... then why can't we say that a console that's not out yet will/might surpass one that'd have already been out for a year? if you ask me.... it seems more logical to say that the PS3 or Revolution has a chance of surpassing the 360 at this point..... they have an extra year of working on hardware..... making sure everything is in full working order before releasing it (like MS's one-year-ahead rushed release).... game developers will probably know more about what they're dealing with, and use it more fully.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back