Random Reboots!

djkarl

OSNN Newbie
Ok, first of please forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong section, I was torn between here and hardware but since I don't know what the problem is I couldn't make a choice.

I've been experiencing random reboots in XP with SP2 for a few weeks now. It can happen at any time and is regardless of what application I'm in. In an effort to get to the bottom of this, I've tried starting up XP and running just one app and seeing if it does it, eventually it does.

It even does this even if I'm not running any programs. I've also checked in Event Viewer and there is nothing in the log around the time of the reboot, infact there's no red errors or yellow warnings?

I thought maybe Windows wanting a re-install, since I've had this install on for about a year. I reinstalled a slip streamed version of XP inc SP1&2 last night. No luck same problem happens....

I thought maybe it's over heating, I installed speedy fan, and the temp in the case was around 35C and the HD was at 40C, I'm told this is about normal.

You guys got any ideas what the hell this could be?

It should be on the label on the PSU itself, just open your case up and have a look, it will usually be somewhere between 250 and 450 W.

Could be Ram, HD, PSU. Narrow it down, check the wattage from your PSU. Run Memtest on your ram before windows starts up (let that run for about 12 hours.) if you get any errors, that's bad.

djkarl said:
I've been experiencing random reboots in XP with SP2 for a few weeks now.

If and when it doesn't appear to be hardware...

How long have you had this rig?
Have you installed any new apps in the last few weeks?
Are you seeing odd behavior within IE, popups and such?
Have you run a system file check on your Windows Build?
Is your Anti-Virus software up to date?

well i did a full format last night
and it did it before i even got online after reinstalling windows

I'm going to get all the latest drivers for my hardware when i get home, see if that makes a difference

i'll also try the hardware stuff suggested

thanks all for your help so far, lets hope i get this sorted

Do you have an extra power supply hanging around?
If so, try swapping out the PSU.

I had a similar issue to yours when I set up my home rig 2 years ago... turned out it was the mobo's onboard lan. So perhaps tinker in the BIOS and disable some of the onboard stuff, see if the stability increases.

Would be good to know what hardware system you have. Anything clocked. Latest bios etc.

Do you have reboot on "system failure" unchecked? If not perhaps your getting a BSOD that might point you in the right direction but XP is rebooting instead of showing you.

ray_gillespie said:
It should be on the label on the PSU itself, just open your case up and have a look, it will usually be somewhere between 250 and 450 W.

Some thermaltake products have a PSU with 600W .

Anyone have any ideea on this :

Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage your computer .
If this screen appears for the first time restart your computer . If the screen appears again follow these steps :

1. Check to be sure you have adequate space . If a driver is certified in the stop message disable the driver or check for updates . Try changing video adapter .
2. Check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates . Disable bus memory options as caching or shadowing . If you need use Safe Mode ( F8 ) to remove or disable
components .

Technical Information :
STOP : 0x0000008E ( 0x00000005 , 0x488B1574 , 0xF958519C , 0x00000000 ) .

ok, sorry for delay in getting back to you guys. I unchecked reboot after system failure, but it still rebooted itself, i checked in evert viewer and no red errors and not even any yellow warning.

i tried running a scan disk, but it rebooted itself so far through so it couldnt finish.

i'm assuming this has to be some sort of power problem? my psu is 300 W

any ideas guys?

What are your full system specs? 300W is on the low side, but it depends on your specs really....

Also, has the problem only occurred with SP2? Have you tried formatting and running without SP2?

rough system specs

p4 2.8 Ghz
1024 mb RAM
ati radeon 7500 64mb graphics card
160gig hard disk

Do you have any way to try a different PSU in your computer? I'd have thought that 300W is a little low for the setup you describe, perhaps adding SP2 has just pushed it over the edge (???).
I'm not sure, but if you could try either:

a) Installing XP without SP2
or
b) Upgrading to a 450W PSU.

Can you try either of those and see what happens?

ray_gillespie said:
Do you have any way to try a different PSU in your computer? I'd have thought that 300W is a little low for the setup you describe, perhaps adding SP2 has just pushed it over the edge (???).
I'm not sure, but if you could try either:

a) Installing XP without SP2
or
b) Upgrading to a 450W PSU.

Can you try either of those and see what happens?

That will not fix his problem unless he has a BAD PSU... the power is fine,
I can tell you for a fact that a 300W PS can run that setup... How do I Know?

My System Specs:
ThermalTake TSUNAMI Case with Plexi Side Panel
2 x 120mm fans, 1 x 92mm Fan
old PSU 300W switched AFTER install to new 350W PSU
ASUS P4C800-E Mobo
Corsair TWINX PC3200 2GB Pair 3-3-3-8 timings
Radeon 256MB 9600 XT Vid
100GB EIDE IBM DeskStar HD for apps, games, data, etc...
30GB SATA WD RAPTOR 10000 RPM HD for OS
running on XP PRO w/SP2

"why did you take the lamb clarice?.... do you still hear it..? The Silence of the Lambs?"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back