Random computer lockups and newer Direct-X games not working

Tiesto

OSNN Addict
I have been having this problem for a while. My newer Direct-X based games such as UT2K3, Battlefield 1942 and Hitman 2 do not work. Hitman 2 doesnt even launch. Also I have recently been experiencing random lockups to where i have to do a hard boot, especially when Im online. I have tried everything, Direct 9.0, which screwed up my comp even more to the point of reformat. I tried installing the VIA 4 in 1 drivers since I have a VIA chipset but nothing, still the same problems. Newest non-beta Nvidia drivers for GeForce 2 which are 40.72, nothing. I am so fed up with this crap. Does anyone know what I can do.

Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz 266 FSB
Trinity KT-A S2390B mobo
VIA KT-133 chipset
GeForce 2 MX 400 64 mb VC w/ 40.72 Det Drivers
512 MB SDRAM PC133

Any system spec i neglected to mention, if you catch it bring it to my attention so you can serve me better :D

Thanks to anyone and everyone in advance.

open the run box (winkey+R) and type "dxdiag" No Quotes it will open up the direct-x diagnosis tool go through the various tests and see if that brings up any problems;)

Already did. No problems. I truely believe that the ****ing retards at Nvidia purposely put out the new drivers to create incompatibilities with older cards, forcing you to buy the new one.

I had a similar problem when i installed a crystal orb to a GF2 Ultra. Turned out to be an almost unnoticealbe finger print of ASII across a few of the contacts on the contact edge of the card in AGP slot.
Maybe its something harware like that.

EDIT: It only affected a few OpenGL games BTW :D

Ok, wow it works. Ive tested it with UT2K3 and it works great. The only problem is that the sound crackles which is a known problem with Athlon CPU's, which I am trying to correct. Many thanks to SickBoi.

I would also add that the 30's to 40's series drivers are optimized for the GF3's and GF4's. My GF2 GTS works best with 29.42.

The latency Patch is for the sound crackle not to sort out video cards!! LOL

Posted by brummie
The latency Patch is for the sound crackle not to sort out video cards!! LOL

its not only for sound crackle.. hardware collision crashes things.. KABOOOOM silly earthling.. everyone always assumes its a video problem when things crash..

Yeah, I found the newer detonators caused more incompatability issues than ever before......gone back to the 30.32 (I think..not at home at the moment) and all went well again. I also found that in Battlefield 1942 the soundcard is set to software by default, I turned on hardware accel. and all crackling in that game disappeared.

TOK

Yeah, my sound is messed up now. Gus K, do you have a link to or have the 29.42 drivers?

its not only for sound crackle.. hardware collision crashes things.. KABOOOOM silly earthling.. everyone always assumes its a video problem when things crash..

It was the only thing metioned, :D GAMES!!

Ok, Im removing the PCI latency patch since the sound is like hell.

Yeah, I got the 29.42 drivers, hopefullt it works now. Will I have to apply the VIA 4 in 1 drivers again?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back