RAM Upgrade Question...

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
This is probably a rather simple question with a simple answer, but upgrading your RAM doesn't usually affect your existing OS installation, does it? I mean, I know some upgrades either screw up the XP activation scheme or work best when done after a reformat and reinstall, but can you just switch out your old RAM and put in new RAM without any major problems? Just wanted to make sure.

Melon

I've never experienced an issue where upgrading RAM affected the OS installation or activation.

muzikool said:
I've never experienced an issue where upgrading RAM affected the OS installation or activation.

Muzi is dead on. Upgrades away !!!!!

It doesn't affect the installation or activation, but if you increase or decrease the amount of system RAM, you may wish to review your page file settings after the upgrade is complete. Depending on if you let Windows manage it, or if you have custom values pre-set, this will need to be reviewed or your system will suffer speed degradation (sp?).

If you are going with the same physical amount, as long as the RAM is the same speed across the board, you should experience no issues.

Sounds good. I'm going from 512 MB (2 x 256 MB) Corsair RAM (non-matched pair) to 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) Corsair RAM (matched pair). Should be interesting if I can squeeze some last life out of this computer before I do my planned replacement at the end of 2006. I'll keep all of this in mind.

Melon

Wow, that's quite an upgrade. Enjoy the speed increase :)

Yeah, 512MB to 2GB is rather nice. I went from 512MB to 1.5GB and loved the increase in performance. :)

Hehe...it was very simple, as expected. This should hopefully give me a nice boost!

Melon

As long as you're not using an OS that's based on 9X then you're fine. Users were limited to only 512mb of RAM with Windows ME which sux.

ming said:
As long as you're not using an OS that's based on 9X then you're fine. Users were limited to only 512mb of RAM with Windows ME which sux.

Windows 9x/ME is so awful that I haven't touched it with a ten-foot pole in six years. I was also happy when I realized that all of my hard drives were NTFS (hence, FAT32 free).

So no worries here. ;)

Melon

Actually, changing the amount of RAM on your system can force a telephone re-activation. But only if you have made several other changes recently.

Windows keeps a count of types and numbers of changes and if the total exceeds the limit during a set time span you get deactivated and get to make the phone call. If you make no changes for 120 days the change hsitory is cleared. I researched all this after troubleshooting a DVD problem kicked me into re-activation hell.

Note something as innocuous as swapping your primary and secondary HS and Optical drives or pulling a RAM stick to trouble shoot can count as 3 hits! The article tells you how to save off your activation so you can restore it if you have to swap a lot of hardware around when troubleshooting.

All the annoying details:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

A tool (xpinfo.exe) that lets you check how close you are to the limit:
http://www.licenturion.com/xp/

I hit the wall too figuratively speaking when swapping out between my old 9600XT and a X800GTO while I was doing BIOS upgrades and checks.

i have never had any problems with upgrading any computer components except for my mobo because of the drives like going from a via to a nforce that didn't quite work out that well for me but ram that is fine

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back