RAM question

Jz1397-5

XP Bad Ass
I am looking into some more RAM, and was wondering what the difference between ECC Unregistered and ECC Registered. Is there any proformance difference, or is it something else?

Thanks

I found this explanation to be the best. Not my words though....... hope this helps:D

Registered SDRAM (aka 'buffered' SDRAM - the terms are
interchangeable when used to describe SDRAM) are intended for
workstations and servers. Basically all pins except the data and the
clock pins) are buffered through a register. This reduces the loading
by "buffering" the address and control inputs. The main advantage is
that you can put more than 4 DIMMs on a memory controller - up to 8,
IIRC. There's a one clock latency penalty (from the register), but
sometimes this can be masked."

"ECC SDRAM is a whole different thing. ECC is a type of fault
detection/correction circuit that is used to detect and fix memory
errors on the fly. Alpha and Beta particle impact ionization in a
memory bit can cause a bit flip (0->1 or 1->0) which causes a memory
error. With the old parity memory, your system could detect that a bit
had bit flipped on memory read, but would then print "Parity Error"
and freeze up - which prevents this bad data from being written, but
erases all current data. ECC can determine one flipped bit in 64-bits
and can detect an error in two bits (which causes a parity error
shutdown as before)."

"Registered memory is definitely intended for servers/workstations or
systems with a lot of RAM (>2GB). ECC is argueably intended for anyone
who cares a lot about data integrity on their system - which is not
necessarily someone on a workstation."

Short version: ECC is Error Checking and Correcting, or Error Correcting Code. It is a little slower.

On some mother boards take the Abit kr7a-133 which has 4 ram sockets it can use up to 3gigs of unregistered ram and 4gigs of registered ram.
so i guess its up to you how much u want to spend and how much ram u want at the end of it all.

out of curiousity, since you already have 1gb ram, what do you need more for?

Always good to have alot of Ram, alot of Ram alot of resources.

Too much memory can eventually cause memory leaked. Keep this in mind though i agree with u that with more RAM more resources and even can disable the page file.

no no no, I am not getting ram for this computer (1024MB), I am buying for another creation of mine, the highly modded baby.

I have a question i have 1048 megs of DDR and i still use a page file. I Never use more than 500megs of memory; could i diasble the page file?

Originally posted by Syrus
On some mother boards take the Abit kr7a-133 which has 4 ram sockets it can use up to 3gigs of unregistered ram and 4gigs of registered ram.
so i guess its up to you how much u want to spend and how much ram u want at the end of it all.

Despite technically supporting up to 4GB off memory, the maximum DDR memory support is actually about 3.5GB rather than 4GB. This limitation is caused by the current PC architecture in which the missing 0.5GB of memory addresses are reserved for PCI I/O space, AGP aperture mapping space and other onboard device I/O space. Thus although the chipset datasheet may claim memory support for up to 4GB, the system actually only offers about 3.5GB with four 1GB DDR DIMMs installed. Do not expect a BIOS fix and do not expect it to be different on any other motherboard - 32 bit processors only support 4GB of address space! Reducing your AGP aperture to 32MB may help matters by freeing up some AGP aperture mapping space (assuming you currently have a larger aperture set).

:D:D:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back