RAM problems.....

• Thread starter cwalker2734
  • Start date
C

cwalker2734

I have been running into all kinds of errors and BSOD when I use the 3rd DIMM slot.

You can look below in my sig and see the hardware specs...

I know that in the past many motherboards didnt like it when you used that 3rd slot for RAM, is that still the case ?

It doesnt matter what stick I use, but when I put the last stick of 512MB in, I start running into errors...

Any ideas, thoughts ??

:confused:

I know it isnt the absolute best motherboard on the market, but it is a good one..

I have never seen a Soyo motherboard that I didn't like, but it does sound like a limitation from the board.

It could also be a windows XP Issue. The OS does have issues with memory addressing across multiple physical spans of memory. If there is anyway you can test a different opperating system without a headache - but I did notice you are running 2 HD with Raid, so that might be a little more troubleshooting than you need.

Soyo has a pretty good support page and a lot of common problems here:

http://www.soyousa.com/support/
-----

Under intense load, Windows Xp can BSOD and lockup when you have mismatched sizes and in some cases, mismatched brands. I ran into this recently and was banging my head for days. All my ram was error free and ran fine independently, but when I mismatched the sizes, XP would get funky when I ran games or decoded/encoded video. I bought matching brands and sizes and have not had a problem since - I later found out on some hardware forums that XP has this problem.

OK thanks for the input,

In your opinion what is the absolute best brand of RAM ?

I was thinking about switching to OCZ, these Corsair XMS Platinums have never given me problems , I am just bored with them and want to try something new..

From the Soyo support page:

NOTE:
1. Only 2 banks of PC2700, and PC3200 is supported, this means you can only place two(2) DDR333(PC2700), or DDR400(PC3200) modules on this board. this board does, however; support three(3) DDDR266(PC2100) memory modules
2. if two modules(PC3200, or PC2700) are being used on this board. Make sure to place one module on DDR socket #1, and one on DDR socket #3.

Damn them, Damn them I say

Well looks like Im in the market for (2) sticks of quality 1024 MB RAM !

It may be a case of slot 2 and 3 sharing the same banks (it does the same on my mobo) so as far as I know, I can only use bank 2 or bank 3. I have never tried to put a ram stick in both slot 2 and 3 yet, so I dont know if it would give me similar problems as you're experiencing... I would imagine it might do though.

Originally posted by cwalker2734
OK thanks for the input,

In your opinion what is the absolute best brand of RAM ?

I was thinking about switching to OCZ, these Corsair XMS Platinums have never given me problems , I am just bored with them and want to try something new..

Would those happen to be the "LL" versions (low latency)? If so, wanna sell? :)

NO its the KT 400 Soyo DragonUltra Black Edition

I dont know if the RAM was the LL but I do know it was the XMS Platinum. When I bought them approx. 1 year ago each stick was $180.00, its good RAM.

NO its the KT 400 Soyo DragonUltra Black Edition
oh, okay. you might want to clarify that in your sig, then. ;)

I am pissed off about all of this, I thought the matherboard was a good one, yet it has nothing to offer other than on board RAID (woopy!) And an optional SATA

I'm gonna go with the ASUS, I just wished it wasnt so damned ugly !

I am pissed off about all of this, I thought the matherboard was a good one, yet it has nothing to offer other than on board RAID (woopy!) And an optional SATA

I'm gonna go with the ASUS, I just wished it wasnt so damned ugly !
it's more a limitation on via's kt400 chipset and not really the manufacturer's fault.

Cwalker I feel your pain.

I bought the G7VRXP last spring thinking it would be good for years. No over clocking over 2200, flaky with 333 RAM, NO Barton. VIA has lost their edge and gigabyte just doesn't put the effort out that ASUS does for overclcokers.

And all I've got is RAID that I will never use because mirroring doesn't protect against viruses and drive prices per gigabyte are dropping at an appaling rate... Sigh.

I just got that nVidia 5900 Ultra, so after I replace the motherboard, I will be done with the constant upgrading, well I'll have to get the 3200XP soon ....then I'll be done !

One question though...

I have (2) 80 gig HD w/ 8 meg cache. Since they are on RAID 0, does that mean I have 16 meg cache ??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back