Ram problem

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
My dad has just installed some ram on his computer and its dosent detect it and since he has put it in the computer acts all weird....he is going to update the bios from the intel website...but anything else he can do?

Sure it's the right type of ram?

Was the computer all ready maxed out for what it could accept for ram?

sometimes with xp if you have 2 diff types of RAM it doesn't boot. coudl you give us more details plz

he has a emachines t1150..two bars or 256 pc133...the computer boots buts he says its all wacky...all the ram is being used whne he has like outlook, ie, and acrobat open...its very sluggish he says...

can you put the new stick in only and see if it boots and burn it in to see if it crashes. but xp wouldnt be the issue most likely your mobo is being picky.

Well you never said what OPS you have firstly.
Probable causes, 1) Motherboard don't accept more than a certain amount of r.a.m.
2)OPS don't support more than 500 mbytes of r.a.m. (though win updates may have a fix to sort that if you tell him to run win update, or check knowledge base).
3)Motherboard especially award aka pheonix go manky after a period of time, my old socket 7 used to tell me it only sees 2 mbytes when I had 32 installed on win 95.
4)Could need a bios upgrade.
5)The r.a.m. may not be in the correct amounts per slot, like 5 slots with 64 in each rather than 256 +32, 128+128+64+128 etc.
6)Swap file set incorrectly set.
7)R.a.m might be faulty.
8)Some applications need a heap of r.a.m. to open like the one you mentioned, just disable some plugins, I posted a few weeks ago a utility what does this for you.
9)Internal hardware might be sucking up too much energy (Juice).
10)Out-of-date drivers.
OR A VIRUS IS SCREWING YOUR DAD'S SYSTEMS'S

That's unlikely, dreamliner77. SDRAM has fewer pins than DDR SDRAM, so you can't mix SDRAM with DDR SDRAM; either of them would simply not fit in the motherboard. :p

I had a motherboard with 2 DDR and 2 SDRAM slots, however you couldnt use both types. Does your motherboard have this Sharpening_beneath?

Some motherboards are incapable of using high density memory modules...
That means the maximum memory module size is limited on those motherboards :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back