Ram/memory problems....

Salincer

OSNN Junior Addict
Okay so i play this game called World of Warcraft and every now and then i get a error says cache cannot be found. Blizard tells me that there might be something wrong with my ram, so then it tells me to use Windows Memory Diagnostic test. So i do it and it tells me that i failed some test. So i take out the 512MB kingston ram i bought to upgrade my comp out, run the test, and it says its fine. So im like. theres something wrong with my 512mb ram. So i take out the 256mb panasonic ram that came with my computer and put the 512mb back in, and test it, and it pass's also. I have no clue whats going on but id like to know if anyone knows a solution to this problem.

I Have a Compaq Persario 3400+ AMD Sempron Processor, 994 MHz., 704 MB of Ram running Windows SP2. It came with a 256mb panasonic ram. i added a 512mb kingston ram.

Thanks, Salincer

If you really want to check your memory download memtest (a free utility) load it on a floppy and run it.

Not finding the cache is a memory allocation problem, not a memory hardware problem. Sounds more like an OS or WOW problem.

It is a Compaq, problem found.

Seriously, Compaq's never play nice with different brands of ram in them. Having owned a Compaq myself I can honestly say it was the worst computer I have ever owned, especially when it come to memory upgrades, it would only take a certain brand or it would fail, and it would only take a certain size per slot. Ugh.

Seriously, Compaq's never play nice with different brands of ram in them. Having owned a Compaq myself I can honestly say it was the worst computer I have ever owned, especially when it come to memory upgrades, it would only take a certain brand or it would fail, and it would only take a certain size per slot. Ugh.

I would have to say the worst computer I ever owned was my old 386sx made by packard bell.. *shudder*

PC World in their article of the "10 worst PC's of all time" agrees with me..

Its not a WoW problem. I ran Windows memory diagnostic(similar to memtest86) and it fails. But X-Istence, i think your right. Compaq is crap. I really regret buying this computer. But what i did was take my 256 Samsung (not panasonic..i thought it was) and ran wow for a good 2 hours without any errors. So theres something wrong with running 2 ram sticks at a time. I guess i should buy another kingston and ebay this samsung off?

Let me give you some of my errors

"This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal Exception
Program: C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe
Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 001B:006FB953

The instruction at "0x006FB953" referenced memory at "0x000001D4".
The memory could not be "read"."

And also

This application has encountered a critical error:

ERROR #131 (0x85100083) File Corrupt
Program: C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\World of Warcraft\WoW.exe
File: Data\common.MPQ

Cached Read = Decompression failed
Raw Read = ReadFileUnbuffered() Failed

Last edited by a moderator:
On the second failure - If the file was cached it was not in your main memory.

Before you buy more ram for what might be a suspect machine-

Read the 2 RAM sticks with CPUz and write down the memeory timings.

Then go into BIOS and set the memory manually to the timings for the slower stick. The Bios might be stupid and using the timing for the faster stick. For that matter check the memory timings vs the actual settings in cpuz.

PS thanks for the Compaq comments. I WAS looking at a presario.

I ran memtest, and like as WMD, it failed. But im at school right now, but i looked into reserching BIOS. You can do alot of damage if you mess something up right? But then you can improve the performace of your PC correct?

Thanks again

On the second failure - If the file was cached it was not in your main memory.

Before you buy more ram for what might be a suspect machine-

Read the 2 RAM sticks with CPUz and write down the memeory timings.

Then go into BIOS and set the memory manually to the timings for the slower stick. The Bios might be stupid and using the timing for the faster stick. For that matter check the memory timings vs the actual settings in cpuz.

PS thanks for the Compaq comments. I WAS looking at a presario.

Alright i have both ram sticks out of my computer. Let me read what they say

Kingston KVR
-------------
99c5216-028.Ao0LF KVR400/512R
2635817-1292734 740617076349
ASSY IN CHINA(1) 26V

Samsung
----------
PC3200U-30331-Z 256 DDR PC3200 CL3

Yea.. So does that help any :speechless:

The second one tells me something the first one is useless. Just put them in and read them one at a time with cpux. All the details on the stick spec's are stored on the stick in memory.

Ok, found some spec's on the kingston and it looks like it is a CL3 and the samsung is CL 2.5 If the bios auto detects the two sticks and tries to run at CL 2.5 it may not work.

So open the bios and manuualy set the RAM for 200 Mhz (half the Ddr rating) and set the timing to 3. That should force the bios to run at the slower speed sticks ratings.

Last edited:
So open the bios and manuualy set the RAM for 200 Mhz (half the Ddr rating) and set the timing to 3. That should force the bios to run at the slower speed sticks ratings.

Im not sure if i can do that. i know how to open up the bios. but i dont know how to edit it. I dont allow it to let me change anything. My cousin googled my computer, and someone said that you are not able to mess with the memory bios

Sigh, thanks for convincing me not to get that Presario laptop I was looking at.

Not much left to do then. My best guess is thatrunning RAM chips with different timings is causing the problem.

You could try contacting Compaq and seeing if they will let you unlock the Bios since the computer is out of warantee.

Never mind, I checked. Compaq will not help you and there is nothing on the web that indicates it is even possible short of installing a bios from another MB manufacturer (bad idea).

Last edited:
I knew this computer was a bad idea to buy. Well will this work, if i buy the exact replica of the 512mb kingston and put it in my computer and take the 256 samsung out ?
Or, should i buy a new video card? i have a ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 series. I believe its 64mb, but what do you think. Ram or videocard. Thinking of http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/XFX-...57386/catOid/-13011/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do would that work?

Sigh, thanks for convincing me not to get that Presario laptop I was looking at.

I HIGHLY doubt ill buy another compaq computer.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have to buy another stick of ram. The BIOS "should" auto-detect the ram and automatically run at the fasted common speed (CL3). Sounds like one stick of ram is bad.

Put the Kingston in the first slot and the Samsung in the second slot. Then the bios will read the slow memory and setup for that. This might work. If you're not sure try all combinations of sticks and slots, it's low tech but faster than looking up the info on the MB.

Basically Compaq has a stupid Bios that is using the speed settings for the first stick it sees instead of following the recommended procedure Dreamliner mentioned.

I should have thought of this last night.

okay...so i bought another 512mb kingston ram..
In my comp i have 2 512mb kingston ram identical.
Error STILL shows up..

A good friend of mine had this to say "Finding ram for a Compaq is like trying to find a virgin hooker. The chance is so slim, you are better off not trying"

I'd say to stop using kingston ram. We have over 400 machines at work that just plain crash or fail to boot with kingston ram installed, be it the dell servers or the servers we built ourselves.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back