Ram making noise?

w00kiec00kie

OSNN Addict
I just installed 2 sticks of cheap kingston valueram in my system to add some memory to it, and when I run a memory intensive application, I hear some sort of electrical hum (much similar to my monitor, except much higher pitch...)

(like Prime95)

but when I turn prime off, noise is gone! could it be the cheap sticks creating some noise? what can I do to prevent it?
(why do all my posts have stuff to do with noise?? :confused: )

I dont know whether to laugh or cry... I dont know how RAM could make noise, unless it had a fan attached to it, but the ending sentence of "why do all my posts have stuff to do with noise??" make me laugh so hard I think I hurt something.

Hmmmmmm,

I bet the cheap ram is somehow interfering with your sound card and the noise is umpteen million transistors doing their job.

I had an Amstrad 464, if you turned the sound right up you could here the processor working. :eek:

The extra Ram may have overloaded your power supply. RAM can't make noise.

w00kiec00kie, get a piece of hose about 18" long and about as wide as a pencil is wide, remove the case side cover and with the machine running the proggy place one end of the hose to your ear and use the other end to prod around inside the machine to pinpoint the sound. Be careful not to shove the hose into anything, especially a fan. It's kinda like usin a stethoscope for listening to your heart and such.

I'll tell you rite now that your RAM will not make any sounds. If you're getting a hum it could be one of your fans is either loosing it's bearing (yeah yeah hah hah) or if it's one of those that is temp sensitive it could be speeding up and the vibration is what you are hearing. Speculation only, but... :)

Also check everything that is mounted on and to the MoBo to see that nothing is loose and I do mean everything. You did just install Memory soooo maybe something got jarred loose?

see the thing is, it only happens when I run the prime95 distributed computing mode. (Doesnt even happen in "torture test" or anything else!)
so WEIRD!
but then now that I've actually closed my side panel, I dont notice it.. :eek:
or of course, there could be an intelligent being trying to contact me from outer space... :eek:

my ram makes noises too, everytime i turn it on, it says "INSTALL MORE!" apparently 1gig isnt enough, i leejend hit this one on the head, i wouldnt doubt it if the ps is failing. and running that program is cause the computer to use a lot of extra power.

my ram makes noises too, everytime i turn it on, it says "INSTALL MORE!" apparently 1gig isnt enough, i leejend hit this one on the head, i wouldnt doubt it if the ps is failing. and running that program is cause the computer to use a lot of extra power.
I remember when my hard drive would spin up, i could hear it come across the speakers in a nice whiny sound, so i move a couple of internal audio cables and i never heard it again.

mmm ok ... surely if its a computer intensive application it will hit one of two possible three places.

1) <-- most likely --> // hard drive activity increased and is rattling the drive or the casing ... there are gelmounts available that would cure this for 3 quid.

2) Graphics intensive application on a high end card, the fan is temperature sensitive and the fan speeds up producing more noise. maybe exposing a slightly worn bearing.

3) fan, on the cpu or case fan heat related as stated above. not manufactures recomendation but stop each fan in turn with your finger (dont stick it in the blades) just press lightly on the centre of the fan to slow it and see if the noise stops.

finally.

electrical components with no moving parts do not make noise, the only exceptions are transformers (like in the power supply) as they hum a little other than that Ram under no circumstance makes noise.

the hose pipe test is classic and will give you a good indication as to the source.

good luck in your quest.

failing all of the above. wear earplugs or dont use said application !!

:)

mooz

oops forgot to mention, GPU fans, on older cards are renowned for being not the greatest quality in the world.

Ionno, but I only use it when I'm sleeping to check stability of my oc.. and from where I sleep, I cannot hear it at all. (It's so very slight, and cannot be heard from a distance of 5 feet :p) I was just weirded out though.

Thanks for the replies heh

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back