RAM latency

vertigo

OSNN Senior Addict
Hello people,

i currently have 2x512mb sticks of ram in my PC. i read on the net that 1T command rate is faster than 2T. my ram is set at 2T.

what i need to know is if there is any risk in changing it to 1T, and if there is, how will i be able to test that everything is stable & going to work properly? would memtest do the trick? will my ram overheat?

thankyou for your time, much appreciated :)

Last edited:
Best to leave settings on default. If it's rated at 2T, leave it at 2T.

Don't waste your time. Speeding up the RAM timing settings produces a minimal improvement (or just crashes your system).

Instead slow down your RAM timing. Then push the system FSB and RAM synchronously to a higher speed. 10% is usually possible. Of course this can crash your system too and overheat your processor.

Best option is to quit reading overclocking articles and get a job or work some overtime to pay for a real upgrade. ;)

lol thanks for the info guys, i have a job & my pc is powerful enough, just thought i wasn't getting the most out of it (without overclocking). :)

athlon64 x2 4400+, 2gb ram, geforce 7800gt

X2 4400 and he's not happy! I feel so under-developed. :cry:

lol don't misunderstand, i'm quite happy with it :D

just wanted to make sure that i was running at max speed without compromising stability

thankyou grandmaster, it did cost a hefty sum! (and i shopped around!)

The worst risk you'll have is that it won't start and you'll have to reset the CMOS manually. No biggie, no harm done.

Running 1T when ram can not handle it can give you data corruption on your drive.

thanks for the input,

but i'm thoroughly confused now. lots of conflicting posts! :eek:

Not really:

General concensus - don't do it.

Optional extras - if you must try it.
-Worst that can happen is that CMOS reset is required.
-Alternate option to tweak speed is retard timing and OC FSB.
- And we all lust after your system.

LeeJend said:
Not really:

General concensus - don't do it.

Optional extras - if you must try it.
-Worst that can happen is that CMOS reset is required.
-Alternate option to tweak speed is retard timing and OC FSB.
- And we all lust after your system.

Couldn't of put it better myself.

Heeter

thankyou all, you've been of great help. excellent forum you have going here :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back