RAM issues, plz help!

K

Khimaros

ok, my friend just got some more ram for his machine. he previously had 256megs ddr in 1 slot on a Soyo Dragon 333.
he got 256 more, but when he booted up, the cpu fan would not spin.
taking it out again results in the system booting after a few failed attempts.
i adviced him to check all obviously connections and swapping the ram slots but the problem persists.
it has to be something to do with bios settings and the fan speed controller im sure, i just dont know what....
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

not enouf power?
whats the power supply rated?
wha does he have in his computer?
im thinkin it mite b the power supply...not enough power...

no his power supply is fine.
hes running a system almost identical to mine, except hes using an athlon 1900 and im using a 1700. hes got 1 cd rom 2 hds and 2 pcis on a new 300 watt supply and it worked just fine b4 the ram upgrade.
im running a gf4 ti 2x 7200rpm hds 2 cdroms and 2 pcis off 300 watts and never had any troubles either.

It's not the PSU. Memory draws very little power. Besides the fans are the last to stop working due to low voltage.

He may have broken something. Has he tried running the CPU fan on another connector (should be three on the board)?

yes, i suggested swapping the connector socket and that didnt do anything.
it works just fine with 1 bit of ram in, just not two.

WTF? That's really strange! Have you tried resetting the BIOS? Maybe the RAM stick is bad (does it run with only the new one)? Are the sticks perhaps of different speed?

Tell me about it.....
i suggested trying putting the new ram in on its own but he said he's too pissed off and will try it tomorrow, so i will have to get back to u on that one.
both bits of ram are 333. (one is 16x16 and the new one is 32x8 but i wouldnt imagine thats gonna annoy it into not working.)
hes tried resetting the bios and then putting it back to his previous settings all no no effect.

it's just the spookiest thing, but im starting to suppect dodgy ram, although why it produces these results is beyond me. :/

I think dogdy ram also, I can't see if anything isn't broken, and the fan's don't spin...that's strange. I would get a new stick of ram, and I think that may fix the problem.

One more thing I think you should do; Juggle the ram. Try booting up with the new ram, without the old one, see if that works. Maybe you got incapatible ram, or something of the matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back