Ram Installation problems on dv6000

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey guys,
I was just trying to install 2gb pc2 5300 ram on my friends hp dv6000 laptop. The computer has two slots, it came factory ordered with a 2 gb of the pc2 5300 ram (1gb + 1gb), and I wanted to make it 3gb by removing one of the 1gb sticks and replacing it with a 2gb stick. After doing this i booted the computer and got 3 or 4 beeps and the laptop didn't boot up, there is nothing on the screen and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the problem was. I have double checked and we did make sure the ram was seated properly.

The computer is running vista 32-bit (which is why we only did 3gb of ram and not 4) but I don't even think that matters since the computer never makes it to vista (I don't even see the bios menu).

Thanks a lot,
Jack

Last edited:
I actually own a Pavillion dv6000... dv6165cl to be exact. If your friends is the AMD Turion 64 built within the past year. it allows 3 gig total. the one I have is 2gig max. your friends laptop may only supprt 2 like mine... i barely use it but its still a decent lappy.

anyway, Have you updated the BIOS? I did read that the newer bios will fix the RAM issues. but make sure you have the exact Model number on the tag underneith the laptop. the "DV6000" is just a series number. there are at leat 15 or so models in that build family.

I actually own a Pavillion dv6000... dv6165cl to be exact. If your friends is the AMD Turion 64 built within the past year. it allows 3 gig total. the one I have is 2gig max. your friends laptop may only supprt 2 like mine... i barely use it but its still a decent lappy.

anyway, Have you updated the BIOS? I did read that the newer bios will fix the RAM issues. but make sure you have the exact Model number on the tag underneith the laptop. the "DV6000" is just a series number. there are at leat 15 or so models in that build family.
Yea, im not sure what his exact model is, but it is an AMD turion built within the last year. The problem is, we took out both 1 gb chips and stuck the 2gb ram in it and it still wouldn't work. Which is why we are really confused.

(Shoulda mentioned that before) We are gonna try the ram in my laptop a little later (dv9000z), which will tell us if the ram is broken.

yeah the RAM could be bad. double check and post back, i am curious. one more thing. I did replace the samsung memory that was installed when i bought it. i replaced it with 2 1g stick of Crucial memory and there was a big difference is performance. ... remember check for the latest Bios.

yeah the RAM could be bad. double check and post back, i am curious. one more thing. I did replace the samsung memory that was installed when i bought it. i replaced it with 2 1g stick of Crucial memory and there was a big difference is performance. ... remember check for the latest Bios.
Yea, im gonna have him update his bios, because i was looking online and a lot of people say they had this problem then the bios update enabled them to have 3gb or more.

If it doesn't work im gonna be fairly pissed because he already bought the 2gb of pny ram :p

even if we can't get the 3 to work, 1 good 2gb stick is always better than 2 ok 1gb sticks right?

Oh well, i'll let you all know.
-Jack

i don't like it when some laptops have a mem slot under the kb

i don't like it when some laptops have a mem slot under the kb
Hey Everyone, he performed a bios update and it still didn't work. So we tried it in my computer and still got the beeps, so we concluded that the ram is broken.

We also put one of my 2gb ram sticks in his just to make sure 3gb worked, and it did.

Thanks for your help.
-Jack

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back