RAM for Vista - Double-sided with NForce3 Ultra?

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Right, I'm giving my PC a small boost to get it up to scratch for Vista, I've just bought a new Seagate SATA HD, but I want to give my system an extra 1GB of RAM to bring it up to 2GB in total.

Now I remember a while ago reading some nasty rumour that Nforce3 Ultra motherboards will only accept 4 sticks of RAM if it's not double-sided. Is this true? At present I have 2 512MB sticks of single-sided RAM running in dual channel. Will I need to make sure that the next 2 sticks are single-sided also, and if so where can I buy them from that will guarantee them to be single-sided? The last time I had to do this I think I had to order over the phone from Crucial actually.

Reps for any help given :)

PS Also, why does my sig not show up properly in IE7?

no nforce 3 take all 4 banks with double sided, you just have to increase the command rate to 2T from 1T else it'll crash on boot up :)

Last edited:
Will I still have to increase the command rate if it's all single sided? What about if 2 are single and 2 are double?

Also, will there be a performance hit from doing this?

Arse then! Do I just increase the command rate in the BIOS? Also, what kind of a hit can I expect? Shall I just stick with 1GB and buy a Creative X-fi card instead? :p

yeah increase it in the bios. It's not much of a hit though.

So what do you reckon? Will I see much benefit from running T2 with 2GB compared to T1 with 1GB under Vista? If not I might just get an X-fi as I currently use on-board sound which isn't great and I might get a small performance increase, though that's debatable.

EDIT: I just bought an OEM Xtreme Music card for £60 from dabs... :)

Last edited:
Well, I just slotted in the new X-fi card...

It's awesome. I never thought I'd hear so much difference, my speakers aren't even anything special just bog standard 2.1. I'm well impressed with this :)

There would have to be something wrong with your hearing if you didn't notice an improvement over any other sound solution for pc's :)

I've just had a look at my settings and I'm running at T2 any way! On the downside, it's really unstable when I try T1, even with just 2 sticks of RAM. Will it still be ok with 4 sticks at T2?

yeah it'll be fine at 2T with 4 sticks. I ran it at 2T with 4 sticks until I upgraded to a core 2 duo :)

Cool. Any idea why it should be unstable at T1 with just 2 sticks? Could it be that RAS-CAS shi-t?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Delay may be too short for your ram.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Go to The Definitive BIOS Optimization Guide then scroll down to Memory Subsystem. The guide can also help you out with any other bios setting you want to know what they are for and possibly change.[/FONT]​

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back