• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

RAM for Vista - Double-sided with NForce3 Ultra?

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Right, I'm giving my PC a small boost to get it up to scratch for Vista, I've just bought a new Seagate SATA HD, but I want to give my system an extra 1GB of RAM to bring it up to 2GB in total.

Now I remember a while ago reading some nasty rumour that Nforce3 Ultra motherboards will only accept 4 sticks of RAM if it's not double-sided. Is this true? At present I have 2 512MB sticks of single-sided RAM running in dual channel. Will I need to make sure that the next 2 sticks are single-sided also, and if so where can I buy them from that will guarantee them to be single-sided? The last time I had to do this I think I had to order over the phone from Crucial actually.

Reps for any help given :)

PS Also, why does my sig not show up properly in IE7?

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Will I still have to increase the command rate if it's all single sided? What about if 2 are single and 2 are double?

Also, will there be a performance hit from doing this?

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Arse then! Do I just increase the command rate in the BIOS? Also, what kind of a hit can I expect? Shall I just stick with 1GB and buy a Creative X-fi card instead? :p

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
So what do you reckon? Will I see much benefit from running T2 with 2GB compared to T1 with 1GB under Vista? If not I might just get an X-fi as I currently use on-board sound which isn't great and I might get a small performance increase, though that's debatable.

EDIT: I just bought an OEM Xtreme Music card for £60 from dabs... :)

Last edited:

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
Well, I just slotted in the new X-fi card...

It's awesome. I never thought I'd hear so much difference, my speakers aren't even anything special just bog standard 2.1. I'm well impressed with this :)

There would have to be something wrong with your hearing if you didn't notice an improvement over any other sound solution for pc's :)

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
I've just had a look at my settings and I'm running at T2 any way! On the downside, it's really unstable when I try T1, even with just 2 sticks of RAM. Will it still be ok with 4 sticks at T2?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grovo_test