Ram conflicts with VIDEO

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
ok st school we are working on a computer to changr it into a video editing machine,so far so good but we went to upgrade ram to a 512mb chip, acording to ibm it can handle it but when ever we put the chip in with the orgignal 128 it gives a beep code and this is the same beep code that happens when it is just the 512, tryed it in both slots, and the ram works in anouther computer. the beep code is that the onboard video card is not operational. it is a intel 810 video card.

does anyone know what could be causing this and if puting in a simple pci video card and then the ram, totaly not using the onboard vid card?????

Originally posted by canadian_divx
ok st school we are working on a computer to changr it into a video editing machine,so far so good but we went to upgrade ram to a 512mb chip, acording to ibm it can handle it but when ever we put the chip in with the orgignal 128 it gives a beep code and this is the same beep code that happens when it is just the 512, tryed it in both slots, and the ram works in anouther computer. the beep code is that the onboard video card is not operational. it is a intel 810 video card.

does anyone know what could be causing this and if puting in a simple pci video card and then the ram, totaly not using the onboard vid card?????

the onboard I believe shares the memory.. maybe there is some setting in the bios that needs to be changed...

thats my $0.02

i have looked in the bios (which is a crappy one) and there is a thing in ther about sharing video ram, it is 1mb-512k LOL

and yes acording to IBM it is compatiable

me had an IBM aptiva for a while, and that could only take certain makes of RAM.

Also is what your saying that now neither the 128 nor the 512 RAM sticks work?

teh 128 alone works, it is a 128 sdram 133 chip, the 512 is also sdram 133 and that chip works too, tomorow i will see if i can get some info of the board and i will post it, thanks for the help so far

Your post was unclear. Are oyu trying to put 128M and 512M in at the same time. If you are will the machine addreess 640M because thats what you have installed. If the machine is only rated to handle 512 ditch the 128 stick and just run the 512M.

Another possibility I've seen on (very) old clunkers is that the first stick has to be a certain size and the machine will have addressing errors if you use something larger. This was on machines like a decade ago or more.

hope u dont mind..buhh yea
i got a old 166
and i got 2 chips of 8 mb EDO ram in there..yes edo very old ram lol
i tried to put in 2 more 32 mb chips but it only registers them as 8 mb chips and gives me a total of 32..yea i know its old..buh i was just wondering wha the problem might be...

quote:
LeeJend
Another possibility I've seen on (very) old clunkers is that the first stick has to be a certain size and the machine will have addressing errors if you use something larger. This was on machines like a decade ago or more.

what do you mean?..i think this might b the problem...

Tricky RAM stuff

Ok if you have the mother board book you may actually have jumpers to set the memory!!
There also was the nessity of PAIRS so you could have 1 8mb or 2 8mb but not 1 8mb and 1 32mb.
THIS SHOULD BE IN YOUR Mother Board Manual.

On the first guys problem I bet it is a Jumper issue.

On the last guys issue try putting the 32 mb RAM first then the 8's

This should be all you need to know if you have any questions E-mail me.

Re: Tricky RAM stuff

Originally posted by Indomidable
Ok if you have the mother board book you may actually have jumpers to set the memory!!
There also was the nessity of PAIRS so you could have 1 8mb or 2 8mb but not 1 8mb and 1 32mb.
THIS SHOULD BE IN YOUR Mother Board Manual.

On the first guys problem I bet it is a Jumper issue.

On the last guys issue try putting the 32 mb RAM first then the 8's

This should be all you need to know if you have any questions E-mail me.

they are in pairs 2 chips of 8 mb and 2 chips of 32 mb imma open it up and see which ones in which
thanks

:huh: i put the 32 mb chips into the first bank (2 slots) and the 8mb chips into the second but it still only shows 32 mb :(

ok, first it is a brand new machine, about 2 months old, and it is not edo ram. third, there are no jumpers that can be set to limit or unlimit the ram.4th, i want to have the 512 and the 128 chip in there at the same time, 5th, concerding that when the 512 is in there and it conflicts with the onboard video would it might solve hte problem if i put in a pic card( i am going to try it next class). and any other ideas,??????

so far the specs are,
celeron 1.3ghz
128mb ram 133mhz
intel MOBO (unknown kind)
40gb 5400 rpm
dvd burner
win 2000
with a pincial studio capature card

a lot of motherboards hate having two different sized RAM sticks in them. I think the usual thing is use two exactly the same sticks from the same manufacturer bought at the same time.

thanks for the information, a is good now i hope, we just need to put the ram in on monday

i hate this IBM computer, we got 2 256 chips that are both working, they are 133mhz and they dont work at all, we still get the beep code that there is a conflict with the video??? anyone have any ideas on what we can do???

Can you trade for a different brand of RAM? IBM's are a bit touchy about what RAM you throw in them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back