Raid Set-up

Ezergeezer

OSNN Addict
Anyone got a complete dumbo's guide to setting up raid '0', on an A7N8X-E
mobo with 2 new Maxtor 120Gb drives, just cant seem to figure it out!
Manual is a bit sparse on info, cant even get the mobo to see the drives.

Just a quick dummy question too: You can set XP pro on two clean brand new drives in raid 0?, I usually do partitioning and format with XP set up disc
on a single disc.

I can even get to create raid set which it does, but when it comes to set up,
windows disc loads in all the usual drivers and stuff and gets to the options screen where it says install windows when you hit enter it says 'no drives where detected, set up will exit'.

Anybody please!!!!

You have to create the arrays before hand as far as I know, you should be prompted to configure raid just after post.

I won't know until tomorrow, when my own drives arrive :)

IIRC, you need to load your hit f6 while drivers/setup files are loading off the windows disc to install your raid drivers.

yes, set up the array first. normally after the post.

second, upon installation, you need to hit f6, in my experience, if you dont, it still asks you for it after it loads everything.

from there, everything formats and installs perfectly.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go when I get home from work today.

Sound's stoopid but do I need to do anything in the BIOS, as to detecting the drives, theres only a screen for detecting IDE drives.

Also just another minor one, the drives did'nt come with jumpers, my last Maxtor drive has jumper diagram on top of drive, but these new drives have the jumper pins but no jumpers or diagram, will this make a difference?

Oh, and another one! with the jumpers are both drives set to Master? Or
one Master and one Slave!

Sorted it!

Thanks for the responses guys, I've finally sorted it

1. Installed drives, with no jumpers for Master or Slave on the back, because they are on separate channels, they dont them.(Bios still does'nt recognise drives)

2. booted up hit F4 and created raid set, set chunk size to 128, best for AV
and 4 for Server's apparantly, exit and reboot.(Bios still does'nt recognise drives)

3. Formatted and partitioned using a Maxblast 3 bootable cd. (Bios still does'nt recognise drives)

4. Reboot and insert Windows disc, very early into the install you are asked
if you have any third party drivers hit F6 and place SATA drivers disc(floppy)
into drive.(Bios still does'nt recognise drives)

5. Windows loaded in half the the time, Finished.(Bios still does'nt recognise drives)

6. 240Gb's at lightining speed.(Bios still does'nt recognise drives)

7. Dont worry it works!!!!

heheh

I did the same yesterday... I pressed F6 to load the drivers.
"Please insert the drivers into Drive A"

Ok no problem, now where did I put my floppy drive? Do I have any floppy discs!!?

All up and running. I may put my old drive back in tho, use it as a swap file and temp file disc... !

Floppy!!!!!

I did the same as you EP, I had no floppy drive, I took it out ages ago,
because I've been using a 64mb mobile usb drive for loading small files and stuff.
I thought the floppy was dead, 'long live the floppy' :) I had to rip one out of my spare computer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back