Raid help

pctweak

OSNN Junior Addict
#1
I am somewhat new to raid 5. I am thinking of purchasing a PowerEdge 1800 with raid 5. If I only have 3 hard drives I will have disck stripping with parity? So if one drive fails I can swap out with a new drive? Will windows 2000 still be running if this happens. Should I get 4 drives? I guess any info you could tell me would be great.

TOTAL $1152.00

Module PowerEdge 1800

Intel® Xeon™ processor at 2.8GHz/1MB Cache, 800MHz FSB

FREE QUADRUPLE UPGRADE to 2GB DDR2 400MHz 2 Single Ranked DIMMs

Primary Controller FREE! CERC 6-Channel SATA RAID Controller

Onboard NIC

Hard Drive Configuration
Add-in SATA card RAID 5, Minimum 3 drives required

3Yr BRONZE Support, Next Business Day Onsite

Hard Drive's

3 - 40GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
 

trainmaster77

OSNN Senior Addict
Political User
#2
how often have you heard of drives failing? it doesnt happen often enough to worry about it. i would get 4 drives and raid0 them. as a matter of fact ..for as long as i can remember ive never had a drive go bad... just get a good power backup from apc and youre straight.

those 40 gb 7200 rpm sata drives arent enough money to justify wasting one drive just for backup ... raid all 4 of them.
 

pctweak

OSNN Junior Addict
#3
trainmaster77 said:
how often have you heard of drives failing? it doesnt happen often enough to worry about it. i would get 4 drives and raid0 them. as a matter of fact ..for as long as i can remember ive never had a drive go bad... just get a good power backup from apc and youre straight.

those 40 gb 7200 rpm sata drives arent enough money to justify wasting one drive just for backup ... raid all 4 of them.
[font=&quot]
True, but I need more then a tape backup for what the server is being used for. I will sacrifice some speed for redundancy and insurance we do not loose data.[/font]
 

trainmaster77

OSNN Senior Addict
Political User
#4
pctweak said:
[font=&quot]
True, but I need more then a tape backup for what the server is being used for. I will sacrifice some speed for redundancy and insurance we do not loose data.[/font]
how much are those drives? id buy 2 more haha raid0 4 of them and use the fifth for the backup. i think you can do it that way. I dunno, ive never used that many hard drives haha.
 
#5
for raid 5 to work you need 1 drive as parity and one drive to mirror the other
so to have a one drive hotswap raid 5 you need 3 drives. after that increment by 2 each time you neede to add another drive.
 
#6
LordOfLA said:
for raid 5 to work you need 1 drive as parity and one drive to mirror the other
so to have a one drive hotswap raid 5 you need 3 drives. after that increment by 2 each time you neede to add another drive.
Huh? RAID 5 doesn't use parity drives, that's RAID 3. And what mirror? Increment by two? Why?

RAID 5 has distributed parity blocks.
Code:
RAID 5:
======================
[b] P[/b] = Parity information

Disk 1	Disk 2	Disk 3
------	------	------
|  [b]P[/b] |	|  1 |	|  2 |
|  3 |	|  [b]P[/b] |	|  4 |
|  5 |	|  6 |	|  [b]P[/b] |
|  [b]P[/b] |	|  7 |	|  8 |
|  9 |	|  [b]P[/b] |	| 10 |
| 11 |	| 12 |	|  [b]P[/b] |
|  [b]P[/b] |	| 13 |	| 14 |
| 15 |	|  [b]P[/b] |	| 16 |
------	------	------
RAID 5 needs a minimum of 3 disks. After that you can add more disks if you wish. The best price/performance ratio is at about 4-6 disks. So if you can afford it, get 4. And RAID 0 isn't an alternative. RAID 0 should only be used for temporary and non-critical storage. RAID 5 is redundant (for single disk failures), but still faster than RAID 1 (mirroring). The total available storage space of a RAID 5 array is the disk size times the number of disks minus one (C*(N-1), C is capacity, N is # of drives).
 

pctweak

OSNN Junior Addict
#7
thanks I think I will go for raid 5 with 4 hard drives. Dell rips you off for that 4th 40gig and they make you buy atleaset 3, so I will see if I can order the same hard dirve from newegg of something.

If I have 4 - 40gigs that will give me 120 gigs of space. That should last about 20 years for what we need it for, perfect!! thanks

:)
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
61,971
Messages
673,299
Members
89,016
Latest member
Poseeut