RAID help. bad stripe

canadian_divx

Canadian_divx
on anouther raid question as i am learning. i have a stripe of 4 drives. one of them is bad and goes wierd about 10 min into operation. i have a high point raid device.

am i able to remove the bad drive and put in a new good one that is of the same specs and modle as the other and tell it to rebuild the array and it work? with out losing all my data from the array? or is that data good and gone?

If it's a stripe as you say (i.e. RAID 0) the answer is a big no. RAID 0 has no redundancy, so if any drive fails, all i lost. If you are running RAID 3 or RAID 5 however, one disk may be removed and replaced without loosing any data.

Say goodbye to your RAID 0 setup, like Zedric said..Only mirroring drives will info be saved.

Heeter

correct me if im worng but raid 1 and 10 also would be able to rebuild the array. doesnt help you but i think worth mentioning.

VenomXT,

You are correct. Basically, RAID0 is really the only non-redundant array. All others may be striped, but usually have a mirrored setup "overlooking" the striped array. This always multiple drives (More than three drives). If I remember correctly, I think Intel created a RAID1.5 which involves striped/mirrored setup, but only between two drives. I personally don't how it works though.

Heeter

VenomXt said:
correct me if im worng but raid 1 and 10 also would be able to rebuild the array. doesnt help you but i think worth mentioning.
True forgot that. RAID 10 ("01", "0,1", "0+1", "1+0") combines RAID 1 and 0. I left RAID 1 out though as that only works on two drives (right? 4 drives in RAID 1 would be very redundant).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back