RAID card questions

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I was at Silicon Image looking for the maximum size HDs that I can connect to my SIL 0680 Ultra 133 Medley RAID PCI card. This is a quote as to what I found on there:

"The SiI0680/0680A supports 48-bit sector addressing, which means that the maximum HD drive size it can support is 144.11x10[15] bytes or 144.11 million GB. The 64x class of controller chips only support 28-bit addressing which allows a maximum supportable size of 137GB per drive."

I don't understand what it means. Is 144GB the biggest sized HD's I can connect to this card?

My Promise TX2000 does not give me a maximum value, it only says it supports HD's above 137GB per drive. Would anyone know what the maximum per drive is on this card?

I am thinking of using 4 x 160GB HD's. Given the fact that the SIL680 cost me $28.00 and the Promise TX2000 is valued at $159.00 (it was actually given to me), I think that the Promise chipset will be the one that I will be using anyways.

Heeter

WHAT???

144 MILLION GB!! I thought that they were out to lunch with their calculations. Well, thanks for clearing that up.

Now, I wonder what the difference would be between a $28 card and a $159 one. They both are 48bit addressing. Here I thought that I was gonna overpower them with my 4 x 160Giggers

Thanks Dreamliner77,

Heeter

I have no problems with my SIS card. However, I did have a SIIG card that sucked. It added about 3 min to boot time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back