Radeon Vs. Ge Force

luish

OSNN Senior Addict
I am interested in Buying a new 3d card.
I wanted to buy of course an Ati Radeon 9700 pro, but it is too much.
The I thought maybe a 9500 pro.

Now I found at the same price as the 9500 pro an ASUS V9480 TVD GeForce 4 TI4800SE AGP 8X 128MB DDR VIVO.

Is it good ? ?

What do you recommend ?

I myself will never buy ATI again, but that's just because I am upset because in the past they had poor driver updates. I recommend the GeForce because of the VIVO. It's a great feature (that is if you use it). The specs between those cards aren't far enough off to really argue this one much.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
I myself will never buy ATI again, but that's just because I am upset because in the past they had poor driver updates. I recommend the GeForce because of the VIVO. It's a great feature (that is if you use it). The specs between those cards aren't far enough off to really argue this one much.

I have no Idea what is the VIVO feature !!!

yep VIVO is Vid In, Vid Out

I have never used a VIVO card, so I dont know what it lets you do.

Between those cards, I would go with the cheapest, they are pretty evenly matched

the geforce TI has faster clock speed but it's DX 8 while 9500 is DX 9.....you will get better quality with geforce so go for it if you cant get ATI 9700pro

I'm ATI all the way, and forget about "Driver issues" it's a thing of the past...

HOWEVER, that being said, in this case, I would go with the Geforce TI, the 9500 is a budget card, the TI is a full fledged graphics card. If you can't get the 9700 (worth saving up another month for I would say) then get the geforce... and remember, this is comming from someone who is anti-nvidia.

so with that logic I suppose you will never buy nvidia again since they have poor driver updates ?

their last whql certified drivers were released almost 5 months ago... :)

the battle pretty much is between a ti4600 and a 9500pro in your case I suppose...

the gf4ti 4600 and the radeon 9500pro are pretty much the same when it comes to raw performance... turn on anisotropic filtering and anti-aliasing to remove the jagged edges and make distant objects on-screen clearer and the 9500pro chugs away since it

employs newer tech...

the 9500pro is also a directx9 compatible card (full support.. not a little here and there) whereas the gf4 ti 4600 is a dx8 card... this will not mean anything much till later this year when the first dx9 games start to come out... most of todays titles are still dx8 spec...

as for ViVo... videon in/ video out... ati has much better vivo than nvidia...

have a read around the website concerning tv-output and see who has the better deal :)

the 9500pro uses pretty much the same stuff as the 9700pro except for slightly lower clock speeds and half the memory bandwidth (same as that of the gf4ti 4600) however you can buy the 9700pro for around 250 or so... retail from some places... some OEM sites carry it for around 200 dollars...

the 4800SE == 4400 basically with agp 8x support... same clock speeds... same performance... and slower than a 9500pro...

also... buy the PRO versions... they have better clocks than the non-PRO versions...

Originally posted by luish
What about this ?

9500 PRO vs. 9700 vs. 4600 ti ?

9700 is better than the other two... it is a lower clocked 9700pro... thats about it...

the 9500pro and 4600ti for all intents and purposes give about the same RAW performance... but when you start to turn eye candy up (ie... AA and FSAA) the 9500pro continues to give playable frame rates... the 4600ti can't keep up...

9700/9500pro use the same core... just different memory controller... ie the 9700 uses 256bit memory bandwidth v/s 128 for the 9500 pro and the gf4 ti 4600 is also 128bit...

Originally posted by Octopus
now there is ATI 9600pro which is better than the 9500pro

is it really better though ?

:)

not quite... the 9500pro is a good performer...

but the 9600pro overclocks like there is no tomorrow and with oc it is a better performer...

Originally posted by black-syth
Here is a link to benchmarks done on the Ati Radeon 9700 pro, 9600 pro, 9500 pro, 9500, 9000, nVidia GF FX 5600 ultra, 5200 ultra, Ti 4200. I hope this is useful. I find a lot of false, and often biased opinions on these forums, so trust your own judgement and surf around tomshardware.com for info....

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030416/index.html

toms is biased as well btw :)

very much so...

ATI's got good driver support (forget about the past).:)

Sorry to change the subject, but i also have a video card question.

I found a GeForce FX for sale at a retailer, i think it was the 5200, for $100. would it be a good choice or would i be better off with like an ATI 9000? only problem i have with the 9000 pro 128 MB is that it doesn't have TV-out using S-video.

Originally posted by ElementalDragon

I found a GeForce FX for sale at a retailer, i think it was the 5200, for $100. would it be a good choice or would i be better off with like an ATI 9000? only problem i have with the 9000 pro 128 MB is that it doesn't have TV-out using S-video.

Geforce 5200 FX is like Geforce 4 MX..it won't give you anything more than that..nVIDIA made these just to support DX9,...anything MX's suck

Originally posted by Sazar
toms is biased as well btw :)

very much so...

Im not trying to make you angry, but how so? In all honesty i never really noticed, though now that you point it out... oh well. Those graphics card benches seem pretty legit to me. Hell, they might not be, but eh... i was just trying to help the guy.

Originally posted by ElementalDragon

the gf FX 5200 series is a series you should probably try and avoid unless you really really badly need a new video card and just have to buy that particular one...

nvidia itself has better products than the 5200/ultra series although they are not dx9...

the gf2ti series is actually on a par with the 5200 series.. and the gf4mx series should outperform it...

going to dx9 benchies.. well the 5200 may have better frame rates in dx9 benchies... but I am not sure you can call single digit averages 'good' or 'playable'

my recommendation... look past the 5200 series unless you just have to have the FX badge regardless of the performance (or lack thereof)

:)

Originally posted by black-syth
Im not trying to make you angry, but how so? In all honesty i never really noticed, though now that you point it out... oh well. Those graphics card benches seem pretty legit to me. Hell, they might not be, but eh... i was just trying to help the guy.

lol... don't fret bout angry m8 :)

unless someone flames me for some ridiculous reason or whatever I don't mind discussions per se :)

most websites... tend to bench to the specs that the hardware vendors specify... toms tends to do the same...

if you have noticed anandtech and hardocp have stepped a little away from the regular video card reviews... trying to do an apples to apples bench using similar visual settings to test things :)

toms does not do this... they pretty much put what is on the website or white paper of the vendor and say well this company said use this setting as this is the closest to this other companies.. so we will :)

I am sure they do not wish to jeopardize their advertising money lol... j/k

but I am sure you can appreciate that benching bilinear nvidia v/s trilinear ati cards is not fair :) far less work is done using bilinear than trilinear...

just look @ what happened on hardocp when trilinear / trilinear benchies were performed :)

huge difference...

the benchmarks are totally legit since the figures are legit... but the comparison method is not representative of true performance :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back