Radeon HD 5870

N

Not Bman

AMD ATI Radeon HD 5870: Unquestionably Number One - HotHardware

I haven't read up too much on this card but from what I can see it's quite amazing. From what I read it is the best card right now, though a few people say the GTX295 is still better, besides the point the price on this new card is amazing.

Wondering if all cards will start to go this cheaper direction? That would be a very good thing!

The GTX 295 is better in some tests, especially games that scale well with two GPUs. It's still impressive that a single GPU can keep up with (and sometimes surpass) two. I suppose the solution would be the recently showcased 5870 X2.

Didn't know about the X2, that will be awesome.

My thoughts all came from the price, it's quite amazing. Though I also thought the non X2 was there top top, so having that price is amazing. I assume the X2 will be like normal and be around 600-700.

It's also quite funny to see how BIG that card is lol

It's also quite funny to see how BIG that card is lol
Haha...I know. I recently ebayed my 4850 X2 to buy a different video card; it was about that long.

According to UPS, I'm going to have my XFX 5870 on Tuesday. Too bad their route comes by my house while I'm at work :( I'll be up all night Tuesday night haha.

Oh so you already bought one, didn't know they were out yet.

Man do I wish I had 380-430 bucks to spend :( I really need an update to my video card, my 8800GT isn't cutting it with Batman or Resident Evil, or basically anything this year :(

Oh so you already bought one, didn't know they were out yet.

Man do I wish I had 380-430 bucks to spend :( I really need an update to my video card, my 8800GT isn't cutting it with Batman or Resident Evil, or basically anything this year :(

I feel for ya, man. If it's any consolation, we'll be seeing price drops soon, and the 5770 is supposed to be out next month. It's the DX11 part that will be replacing the 4890.

Someone online told me that there were some in stock on newegg, so I bought it. Six minutes later they were sold out...it's crazy right now.

you should just wait and see how the gt300 will do.
oh, and the hd5850 maybe a pretty sweet deal too, but i agree the price on the 5870 is quite appealing. i hope it starts to be a trend.

I feel for ya, man. If it's any consolation, we'll be seeing price drops soon, and the 5770 is supposed to be out next month. It's the DX11 part that will be replacing the 4890.

Someone online told me that there were some in stock on newegg, so I bought it. Six minutes later they were sold out...it's crazy right now.

Isn't the 5870 a dx11 card as well?

you should just wait and see how the gt300 will do.
oh, and the hd5850 maybe a pretty sweet deal too, but i agree the price on the 5870 is quite appealing. i hope it starts to be a trend.

And of course, if Nvidia can compete with it or do better I would probably go with them, I like there drivers more.

I think I would still rather have the gtx295. That is a nice card though ..

I thought long and hard about it, reading at least ten reviews before settling on my purchase. Yes, I have seen the dual-GPU GTX 295 surpass the 5870 in several tests and I am thoroughly impressed that a single GPU card can come within a few FPS of a dual GPU card. With the 5870 being an entirely new (and DRASTICALLY different) architecture, new drivers could turn the tables.

The last time ATI had a clear lead (Radeon 9800), Nvidia constantly told people that the Geforce FX series would be faster, even twice as fast as their own offerings. This turned out to be false; they were just tampering with the market in an anti-consumer, pro-stockholder effort to stall sales of the 9800.

It's also hard to ignore that Nvidia execs have been dumping NVDA stock ever since the GT300 was taped out. They've also spent all their recent stockholder meetings downplaying the importance of DX11 and saying that graphics performance doesn't matter much anymore. Neither one is a good sign for a company that thrives on DirectX features and graphics performance.

Then there's the issue of cost. The 8800 GTX arrived on the market at $599. The GTX 280 came in at $649. The GTX 295 still costs nearly $500 nine months after its release. It's going to be hard to convince the public that it's a good idea to pay $500-$600 to get 167 FPS in a game instead of only 156 FPS from a sub-$400 Radeon 5870. Especially since most people lock their framerate at 60FPS with V-sync anyway.

By the time a game comes out that actually makes the 5870 (or the GT300, for that matter) break a sweat, there will be newer, faster, and cheaper GPUs. So why pay more?

Well you will have to let me know how the 5870 is, in terms of drivers. I have used there driver software once, and drivers, and I don't think I liked it. I enjoy Nvidia's drivers. Hopefully they are both good. From what I heard they went in a wrong direction in the newer drivers.

So glad prices are changing for top end cards.

i'd still pick a single gpu solution

oh, btw bman.. ati drivers arent as good as nvidia's.. nv got a bad rep for their early vista drivers, but current ones (i think u will agree) work pretty great

i'd still pick a single gpu solution

oh, btw bman.. ati drivers arent as good as nvidia's.. nv got a bad rep for their early vista drivers, but current ones (i think u will agree) work pretty great

5870 is a single gpu, and unless i wrote it wrong, I pointed out that Nvidia's drivers are better, not the other way around.

I really have yet to see these ATI driver issues everyone keeps talking about. It must be either one of those things that people repeat often enough until everyone thinks it. I had a 4850 X2, 4870, and currently a 4890 and haven't had a BSOD in years. Maybe the problems were from the pre-4xxx series? I didn't own any ATI before that, except a 9800 pro.

Last edited:
I really have yet to see these ATI driver issues everyone keeps talking about. It must be either one of those things that people repeat often enough until . I had a 4850 X2, 4870, and currently a 4890 and haven't had a BSOD in years. Maybe the problems were from the pre-4xxx series? I didn't own any ATI before that, except a 9800 pro.

What are you talking about?

Every single one of those Vista BSOD's that the Nvidia drivers caused were the fault of AMD's drivers :cool:

Seriously, it's absolute bunk, re: drivers. Nvidia's drivers are proven to be more unstable and more likely to cause BSOD's in Windows 7 and Vista than AMD's.

But, for the most part, they cover the same basic set of features and both are pretty solid and feature-rich and Nvidia appears to have superior drivers for multi-gpu and better profile support than AMD. However, it appears that cross-fire scales better on average.

Re: the cards. 5870 is hitting all the right now. I am definitely interested to see what the GT300 can bring to the table because it's memory bus is twice as fat and it is designed to do a lot more work in parallel :D

The 5870x2 is also looking like a nice deal, if it can scale it's performance to the levels of the 5870 in crossfire and if the drivers are mature :D

5870 is a single gpu, and unless i wrote it wrong, I pointed out that Nvidia's drivers are better, not the other way around.

sorry, i should've quoted hehe
i was responding to those saying the gt295 is just as good... so why choose the 5870

and with the drivers.. well, yeah, i was just agreeing :D

Once I get a stable job this is a perfect time for me.

Basically by the time I buy one of these cards I will have enough options, and any one of them will blow my 8800GT out of the water. Can't wait. So to me if the GT300 or 5870 is better, meh! lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back