Radeon 9800se Help

kingsam

OSNN Addict
Im thinking of ordering a 9800se 128mb,and ive heard you can softmod it into a 9800pro but only if its a hercules brand is this so or will other brands work.Please help as i would like to order one ASAP.Many thanks

The 9800 SE has the memory data path cut in half from the 9800 and 9800 PRO versions. That is a function of the card layout and RAM installed. I haven't seen any information on modifying any 9800 version to a higher version.

If you want higher performance at lower price look at the 9700 PRO or 9800. Check out

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

It has benchmakrs showing the relative card rankings. The 9800 SE is pretty sad performance. And if you can't mod it or botch the job and damage the card your stuck. Mod'ing also voids any warantee.

Yeah man go get yourself the official 9800 or just settle for the 97 like Lee said. really makes no sense getting an SE model especially if your a rook at modding.

RADEON 9800SE

HI check this site out and see what you think,as im totally confused....

http://www.ocfaq.com/softmod/index.php

I now how to o/clock cpus if thats any help.Basically i have a FX5600 256MB card at the moment which gives me 2500ish scores in 3dmark2003,and i want better scores & better graphics.
Without spending a fortune £££'s.

ASUS a7n8delux
3.0g ATHLON BARTON
512 DDR400
120GB W/D 8MB CACHE HDD
FX5600
AUDIGY SOUNDCARD

success rate is close to 50/50 (check attachment). it's just a driver mod so there's no real harm in trying, i suppose. well, except for the fact you don't own the 9800se. :p so it's definitely a gamble. i don't know the technical differences between a 9800se and 9800pro, so i'm not sure what it does besides up the clock rates.

[edit] found out that the real differences between a 9800se and 9300pro are 1) twice as many pipelines (pro = 8, se = 4), and 2) twice as wide bus (pro = 256-bit, se = 128-bit).

now, it may be possible that 4 of the pipelines may be disabled like the 9500 when it came out and can be reenabled, but i would think that would require a vga bios tweak. and there's no way to increase the bus width. i'm not sure how they get a 9800pro from a 9800se simply through a patched driver file.

it also depends on what kind of 9800se you'd get.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back