Radeon 9700 vs 9600xt AIW

sto110

OSNN Junior Addict
I have both cards, the 9700 is in my main machine (3ghz, 512ram, 250GB) which i have in an upstairs bedroom with no tv, the AIW is in my basement where i have a tv (so 2 would be redundant)

My question is should i put the AIW in my main machine which i play Doom 3, far cry, half life 2 (eventually). This way i can watch TV in that room too, or should i just deal with not having the tv?

How much performance do you think i will lose?

sto110 said:
I have both cards, the 9700 is in my main machine (3ghz, 512ram, 250GB) which i have in an upstairs bedroom with no tv, the AIW is in my basement where i have a tv (so 2 would be redundant)

My question is should i put the AIW in my main machine which i play Doom 3, far cry, half life 2 (eventually). This way i can watch TV in that room too, or should i just deal with not having the tv?

How much performance do you think i will lose?

Not much, but just as an example:

Call of Duty: 1024X768 Athlon XP 2700+

Radeon 9700Pro: 121.2 FPS
Radeon 9600Xt : 95.3 FPS

UT 2K3: 1024X768 3.0C P4

Radeon 9700Pro: 98.0 FPS
Radeon 9600XT : 70.4 FPS

Halo: 1024X768 3.2 P4

Radeon 9700Pro: 48.16 FPS
Radeon 9600XT : 34.15 FPS

Wow that does help. I think ill leave things as is and accept that i wont have a tv up here. But ill be playin Doom and Halflife 2 soon so it really wont matter. Thanks for the assist. I dont think i want to loose that many FPS in those games.

if gaming is the primary thing you are looking for... keep the 9700pro...

if you want all around functionality use the aiw 9600xt...

the 9600xt is fast but it is noticeably slower than the 9700pro.. the memory bandwidth and the number of pipelines make a difference @ higher resolutions and higher LOD...

you have to decide what you would rather have :)

dreamliner77 said:
No better way to find than to test it yourself.

Yeah thats true but the results listed above convinced me that i dont need to rip apart my two machines and do a lot of testing. The results posted above were exactly what i was looking for (to see if someone already tested it.)

Thanks for everyones input!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back