RADEON 9600 pro no pro

D

Dexter

Hi all!

I’m about to buy a new graphic card (as quiet a lot of people seems to be doing). Im right now looking at to cards HIS Excalibur RADEON 9600 and the PRO version. So I don’t have that much money and if I would choose today I would probably just buy the 60$ cheaper none pro version (my computer isn’t the best one to, so that money would probably be going to a processor upgrade). But as I am not certain I came to ask the very experienced people here at ntfs. I know that the v.9600 differ about 50 % from the pro.

The point is should I invest the extra money to get the other card, or is there any other card that would compete whit these card like a ti 4200 or a FX card.

i know that the 9800 non pro can be overclocked stable to the pro version.. maybe the 9600 non pro, can go pro with some overclocking.. you might have to hard-mod it, which means soldering, but then again, it might be a soft-mod, and with the right files, you'd be hittin the fps like the pro version... Sazar should know.. he knows all. (so he says :D)

I'd go for the Pro, I'm not sure, but it might be that the Pro has more pixel pipelines than the non-pro has... and I know the Pro overclocks great

Originally posted by Dexter
Hi all!

I’m about to buy a new graphic card (as quiet a lot of people seems to be doing). Im right now looking at to cards HIS Excalibur RADEON 9600 and the PRO version. So I don’t have that much money and if I would choose today I would probably just buy the 60$ cheaper none pro version (my computer isn’t the best one to, so that money would probably be going to a processor upgrade). But as I am not certain I came to ask the very experienced people here at ntfs. I know that the v.9600 differ about 50 % from the pro.

The point is should I invest the extra money to get the other card, or is there any other card that would compete whit these card like a ti 4200 or a FX card.

http://mirror.ati.com/products/radeon9600/radeon9600pro/compare.html

thats ati's official comparison list and is basically what everyone will tell you..

bear in mind the memory you get with the non-pro is lower grade than the pro... ie its max achievable clock is lower than the pro version...

both cards are pretty much the same cept for core/memory clocks..

IIRC ati is releasing a new/updated 9600pro version with higher retail clocks.. this may trickle dwn to the 9600 series as well...

the 9600 is a good card (non pro) and should be quite cheap as well...

currently... as far as carmack and tim sweeney and the valve team will let you know... ati has superior dx9 shader speed... in direct/unoptimized comparison.. the advantage is up to 5x/10x for ps 2.0 rendering... and carmack is on record as saying the r3xx core from ati is at least 2 times as fast in standard paths in doom3... an ogl game...

Originally posted by dubstar
Sazar should know.. he knows all. (so he says :D)

bleh... :)

I have never made any such claim... in fact it is the contrary...

Sazar

U R a Video card GOD!!!!!

Heeter

I was looking to buy a 9600 (pro/non-pro) and found a 9600 non-pro with 256 DDR. Do u think it would be faster than the 9600 128 DDR pro?

Originally posted by Nitris
I was looking to buy a 9600 (pro/non-pro) and found a 9600 non-pro with 256 DDR. Do u think it would be faster than the 9600 128 DDR pro?

no... it will just have more memory..

unless you get a card like the 9800pro/5900ultra with 256mb... the extra memory is pretty much redundant and more a marketing gimmick than anything else...

it will work well in 3d apps (not 3d games per se) like autocad and the like.. but thats about it...

I saw now that i can get a hold of a cheap hercules gf3 ti 500!
my computer isnt that great its a 1Gh amd so i dont think i can get every thing out of the 9600pro or ??

and is the ti500 a good buy(about 90$)?

i would be greatfull for any answers!

Originally posted by Dexter
I saw now that i can get a hold of a cheap hercules gf3 ti 500!
my computer isnt that great its a 1Gh amd so i dont think i can get every thing out of the 9600pro or ??

and is the ti500 a good buy(about 90$)?

i would be greatfull for any answers!

I am sure you can get the card cheaper... but its not a bad card...

still.. I would have recommended you get something decent... even for a few more dollars...

:)

okey im going to buy either a HIS Excalibur Radeon 9600 PRO - grafikkort - RADEON 9600 PRO - 128 MB 400/400 mhz or a Powercolor Radeon 9600 PRO 128MB DDR 400/400MHz AGP8X DVI-I Tv-out Retail both are the smae price and that is what i can afford.

So which one should i buy. im in a bit of a hury a friend is buying from that place so i can save some shiping cost!

thanks for all replys!

I think the powercolor runs a little slower than 400/400, I recomend you get the one from ATi

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back