Radeon 9500np ---> 9700.. shoud this card work?

T

ThePunkerGuy

Alrighty, i found this card http://store.yahoo.com/pcmemory-stores/ra9512ddragd.html you can get it with the L Shaped memory for $14 more. A review on Reseller ratings says he softmoded his card perfectly from them. Is that the right card, should it have a good chance of softmoding? Its the black PCB, but isnt that softmodable as well? I think this site says it is able to be moded http://www.ocfaq.com/softmod/faq.php . And what is the differnce between Hardmoding and Softmoding.. and does softmoding it really make a huge difference.. would it make it faster than a 9600pro? So here is my decision, should i get a Power Color Radeon 9600 Pro from Newegg, or should i get one of these cards and try to softmod it? What do you guys think?? Thanks!
- Mike

Originally posted by ThePunkerGuy
Alrighty, i found this card http://store.yahoo.com/pcmemory-stores/ra9512ddragd.html you can get it with the L Shaped memory for $14 more. A review on Reseller ratings says he softmoded his card perfectly from them. Is that the right card, should it have a good chance of softmoding? Its the black PCB, but isnt that softmodable as well? I think this site says it is able to be moded http://www.ocfaq.com/softmod/faq.php . And what is the differnce between Hardmoding and Softmoding.. and does softmoding it really make a huge difference.. would it make it faster than a 9600pro? So here is my decision, should i get a Power Color Radeon 9600 Pro from Newegg, or should i get one of these cards and try to softmod it? What do you guys think?? Thanks!
- Mike

there is no guarantee...

the guideline is a rough guideline and you should go by it @ your own risk...

some 9500np's 4 extra have working pipelines (as in the 9700 non-pro) but this depends... you can get lucky and have a 9700non-pro instead of a 9500 non-pro for a good price... or you can be unlucky and get stuck with what you bought...

its your call...

I already tried to get the 9500 NP and upgrade to a 9700. This was big news about nine months ago, but by now any 9500s that will work correctly with the softmod have been picked through already. An "L"-shaped memory lineup on the PCB doesn't mean it will work. I know from personal experience. It's not worth the restocking fee... Get a 9700.

Sadly, I used to have a 9500 that I softmodded, but then i pulled a chip off of it. Did you know the heat spreader of the voltage regulator is glued on? Umm yeah... :(

Originally posted by HandyBuddy
I already tried to get the 9500 NP and upgrade to a 9700. This was big news about nine months ago, but by now any 9500s that will work correctly with the softmod have been picked through already. An "L"-shaped memory lineup on the PCB doesn't mean it will work. I know from personal experience. It's not worth the restocking fee... Get a 9700.

Sadly, I used to have a 9500 that I softmodded, but then i pulled a chip off of it. Did you know the heat spreader of the voltage regulator is glued on? Umm yeah... :(

I know this is old news, i wanted one of these cards back then but had no use for it.. hence i have a Radeon 9800 Pro.. this is for a secnd rig that now needs a good vid card for $150 or less.. but i found one company that is selling these cards directly and they dont have a restocking fee.. i emailed to ensure the red pcb and L shaped memory, if they say it does have that, the its worth a try... all i would be out is $5 for shippping on an RMA! What do ya think? Thanks!
- Mike

Originally posted by HandyBuddy

Also, if you go to resellerratings for this company http://store.yahoo.com/pcmemory-stores/ra9512ddragd.html they dont have the best reviews because of their memory, but one guy who bought one of these cards about 2 weeks ago... L shaped with Black PCB, said it softmoded like a dream... hhhhhmmmmmmmm
- Mike

If it's just a $5 RMA fee, go for it! I just assumed it would be similar to the 15% restocking fee I got ($17.50 plus the $8 I spent to ship it back.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back