Radeon 8500 vs Ti4600

R

RobbieSan

Hi all. here's a good article about these two cards. Bottom line, Radeon 8500 keeps up quite well with the Ti4600 and costs almost half the price.

Radeon 8500 vs Ti4600

Yes, at 10X7 res, the 8500 can 'almost' keep up.

Things change considerably at 16X12 though, where the 8500 chokes big time in comparison. Same can be said once FSAA is enabled.

well for a lower price you are getting pretty good quality with the ATi cards...

the thing is the price.. and the performance is not THAT much superior at resolutions people like me use to make that big a difference...

if one has to play at 16x12 than for sure... ti4600 is the way to go.. but the ati gives enough bang to keep people happy... and it costs FAR less... specially with new price cuts coming to clear the current family to allow for transition to the newer GPU chipset :)

keep watching for the R300 and other stuff ATi has in the works...

Yeah.. less expensive compared to a 4600
but what about those smart ppl like me who bought a ti 4200 for $150 and o/c'ed it?
Radeon still worht it then?

The 4200 is a good deal for OC'ing, yep.

And yeah, the R300 will DOMINATE the 4600. Coming Soon.

Of note: One great thing about ATI cards is superior 2D. You can't compare the colors of an ATI card to a Nvidia card. Much richer and deeper w/ the ATI. And DVD playback also smokes Nvidia.

Don't get me wrong though, GF4's kick azz.

well... see here.. it all depends how you use the card and what you use it for... pure and simple...

if I am a hardcore gamer, I go out and buy myself a ti4600 and stick withit... o/c if required though it is already pretty fast...

with ati cards... what people don't notice is the picture quality and the use of the directx 8.1 drivers that the 8500 supports... picture QUALITY is excellent for the loss of a few frames... if the ti series were to output at the same quality level there would be a drop in frames for sure... its just the way it works...

also the Ati cards are better all around cards... they are MORE than adequate when it comes to gaming... giving over 200 fps at 1024x768 on which for a regular user such as myself is MORE than adequate...

am I endorsing Ati? no... I am just pointing out that raw speed is not the only reason to buy a card... price considerations also are not quite accurate... all 8500 cards should see a drop of about 30% in the coming weeks or even days as the path is cleared for their new cards...

parhelia is not seeming like it is worth it so I might just wait for the next generation of ati cards and check performance v/s price...

apart from gaming... ati cards give far better DVD performance.. and like I said the picture quality is pretty good...

cant go wrong really if you are not willing to fork out over 300 for the 4600 or to overclock...

it is not a bad solution basically...

My 8500 has brought me nothing but pure, unadulterated happiness! I don't do driver updates with this card. No reason to, it perfoms just fine. 300/345 are what I'm running it at with an AGP bus speed at 78MHz for the past 3 months. 10000 at 3DMark? Not a problem!

Finally, 4600 is a sweet card, but over-priced!

don't know about being overpriced...

you DO get massive bang for the buck and big overclocking overhead on the 4600 mate :)

I just like the complete solution offered by the Ati cards... and I am not even talking about the AIW series :)

Heh, whatever.. maybe i need to experience this superior quality or something then i'll be hooked. Personally.. if i can read the text etc.. the quality is fine.. i don't see what the big deal is over 2d quality, i'm not buying a card to see my desktop better.. i'm buying it to make my games run better and faster. If my opponent's cstrike looks 2x better than mine but he's getting 30 fps.. i could care less.. i like to win.. gimme 100 fps. Its funny when i go to lans.. and they see how agly my Quake III looks.. i use picmip etc.. makes the game look worse than qII graphics. Sure w/ my setup i don't have to picmip it to get good FPS, but it helps me to see things better and to essentially 'win'. And who watches DVD's on their small computer monitor? If i have a DVD i'm gonna watch it on my TV.... i guess thats good if you're only DVD player is on your comp.

yeah, the Radeon 8500 has superb picture quality and speed.. granted ATI will have to wait untli the R300 is out for a true competitor to the Ti4600 but it will be worth the wait.. my biggest thing was just the price of 8500 vs..

I just got my Radeon 8500 LE and I think it kicks ass, but then again anything is better that a Voodoo card these days.

Lol catch23 i was thinking the same thing.
I've seen benchmarks where the 8500 gets like half the FPS as the gf4

I should certainly hope not.... And its not meant to. If it did, Nvidia would have serious problems.

The point is, that at 10X7, no FSAA, its VERY VERY close, which makes an 8500 a super duper bargain.

On the high-end, just wait for the R300. Until then the 4600 is the fasted vidcard money can buy no question.

I don't think that's in debate here.

Your best bet price/performance-wise is probably a GeForce 3 Ti200 right now...

to each their own :) I pointed out that the little thingy's I stuck in my posts were not supposed to say ATi is a better gaming card...

please read before you say WHATEVER...

yes the g4 is the card to get for gaming alone... if you want to do other things please consider the Ati cards too... they are cheap/give excellent performance and they have god bundles...

by the by... the performance figures you are quoting.. sure the ti4600 gets like 230 or something in quake... but please... can you really notice the difference if you had a card with ONLY 150 fps? can you really?

in cs... I would love to get 99-100 no probs.. but I have played the longest with a card where I topped out at about 15 fps and I was still owning... so it may not be all about the frames... :D

The human eye can barely detect anything over 60 FPS anyway... so I don't see where the super high framerates matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back