Radeon 4870 - 1.5x 8800GT?

Petros

Thief IV
If the reviews match the preliminary benchmarks, this will be one to get right away. A couple of reviews are showing it with a 30-50% increase in game benchmarks over the 8800GT. A guy in Hong Kong got the lower model, the 8750, and pulled out 15K in 3dmark06. Granted, his processor was OCd, but it gives a great preview of what is coming.

Second link
Third
FOURTH

"OCd"? his processor was a QX9650 that was overclocked to 4GHZ! of course he'd pull off 15k in 06. my 8800GTX on my Q9450 when i had it oc'd to 3.2Ghz even got 12,667. I find it kinda appalling that it's taken ATI roughly a year and a half to finally make a card that's showing a bit of an edge over the 8-series, even though NVidia has it's new cards coming out which seem to even be something quite nice over the 8800's.

I got 15G with an Opteron and an 8800GTX on 06. You mentioned the 8800GT, how about the 8800GTS and 9800GTX, lets at least compare it to something comparable. I would hope the 4870 would do better than an 8800GT. If that is all it can do then ATi/AMD takes a back seat to nVidia, once again!

Edit: We will see what real world usage will bring, benchmarks only say so much!

Well, for what it's worth, AMD has better drivers than Nvidia and that in itself is a huge plus for stability.

My frustration with nVidia drivers in the last couple of years is what started leading me back towards ATI.

I have never had any driver issues, at least not that I have seen.

You are lucky.

Nvidia apparently unilaterally decided that Vista drivers could wait. Took them almost a year and a half to deliver a decent set (my current ones) that not only perform well but also don't crash to a BSOD (which has never happened with anything else I have thrown at Vista).

Anyways, this card and its smaller brother appear to have decent performance specs for the price but I'd prefer to wait for final release with pricing and final drivers out before saying one thing or the other.

Sazar: i've been using strictly Vista since not long after Vista was released. The only thing it ever had an issue with was running with any BIOS settings changed.... which i was ok with..... but that seems to have somehow gone away with SP1. that's usually what my instabilities were related to. i'd say maybe 2 months after Vista's release, i never got that "display driver has stopped responding and has been recovered" message in the system tray..... which actually is a GOOD thing if you ask me. That's actually Vista PREVENTING a BSOD by stopping the issue before it happens.

Yah, it's a great thing. Except the nvdkrl or whatever error causes a hard-lock resulting in a BSOD. Check the nvidia graphics card section on www.nvnews.net and other sites and you'll see exactly what I am talking about.

.... i've had that error happen several times (before i decided to move solely to Vista).... never did it result in a hard-lock followed by a BSOD.... or either one of the two by themselves. Usually just made playing games all but impossible.

I guess I must be lucky too I have always preferred the Nvidia drivers to the ATI ones. I am using a HD2600XT in my media center and it has given me loads of niggles such as red push. Guess it just depends on the hardware you have, as I remember my Nforce 2 board would not work at all with my Geforce 3 card ! There were horrible compatibilty issues. As soon as I got a ATI 9800 everything ran smooth :)

Well the new Nvidia cards aren't exactly rocking the performance world. Not bad performance but for the price, the 9800GX2 just becomes the best card as it's faster than the new cards or the same performance and it's cheaper.

Well the new Nvidia cards aren't exactly rocking the performance world. Not bad performance but for the price, the 9800GX2 just becomes the best card as it's faster than the new cards or the same performance and it's cheaper.

I don't think you are far wrong there, I have just got myself a nice new 9800GTX but it is not like when the 8800GTX first came out, nothing earth shattering. Still its nice that I did not have to sell a kidney for it :)

I think I might have to sell my 1950xt and buy a new 4850 or 4870 when it comes out. Will see :)

I might build a new system to replace my current HTPC :eek:

Again, we shall see :D

thats a bit of overkill for an htpc ;)

The first official benchmarks are popping up, and it's not looking good for the 4850.

If the 4870 doesn't pull off some miracle, ATI will take a beating again at the high end, and maybe at the mid-rage with the announcement of the 9800GTX+.

i've seen the 4850 review at techpowerup... it looks pretty good, not the best card out there, but handles games quite well for its price point

The first official benchmarks are popping up, and it's not looking good for the 4850.

If the 4870 doesn't pull off some miracle, ATI will take a beating again at the high end, and maybe at the mid-rage with the announcement of the 9800GTX+.

I don't know, it's performing quite well honestly, reaching 9800GTX levels at a much lower price point AND it's single slot.

From what I have seen the 4870 is doing amazing. Its $199 dont forget, and its doing quite well against some stiff competition. I'm a nvidia user myself, but I'm so happy to see AMD/ATi finally starting to get back into the game its going to be good for everyone.

4850 is in the 199 price point I thought. No sure about the 4870 but I really want to see that out and about and I REALLY want to see the r700 based card :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back