Radeon 4870 - 1.5x 8800GT?

4850 is in the 199 price point I thought. No sure about the 4870 but I really want to see that out and about and I REALLY want to see the r700 based card :D

Err, I think you are correct, My mistake.

So it looks like some links were BS from some sites trying for attention, some some are not. Turns out that the 4870 really IS 30-50% faster than the 8800GT in many tests, though.

My favorite real review is from an average Joe here. I'll post a new thread with my review on Wednesday(ish),

There is quite a bit of interesting info coming out in the last week.

I should be getting my 4870 on Wednesday. I got my card for 283 USD minus shipping. :)

So it looks like some links were BS from some sites trying for attention, some some are not. Turns out that the 4870 really IS 30-50% faster than the 8800GT in many tests, though.

My favorite real review is from an average Joe here. I'll post a new thread with my review on Wednesday(ish),

I dunno, 30-50%?

In most tests it is faster than the 260 and in some it even catches the 280. And it happens to be miles cheaper.

I think I'll sell my 4870 at a good discount to a relative who happens to be getting a computer and wants a 4870 at the end of the summer. X2 here I come!

I think I'll sell my 4870 at a good discount to a relative who happens to be getting a computer and wants a 4870 at the end of the summer. X2 here I come!

Which one? The one with GDDR3 or GDDR5?

Typical, I buy a new pc after 5 years and I time it slightly wrong..... do do I sell my 9800GTX now and lose some cash, to get a 4870. Or should I just hang with my 9800 at the moment? I shall look at some ebay prices tonight I think.....

Definitely the GDDR5. For no other reason than the fact that 5 is more than 3.

I'm waiting to see what the price will be for the X2 with GDDR5 and what the quantities will be like. As it stands the 4870's are in short supply as is the GDDR5 for the cards. Most retailers got very small allotments. I'd also like to see just how much of a price gap is between the GDDR3 and GDDR5 models.

I may end up with an X2, myself, but it really comes down to reviews and how well it works with games and if there are any "micro stutters" like I've seen mentioned with the 3870X2 card.

The company I purchased my card from was wrong. My card arrived this morning. :) I'll get around to installing it later today.

Typical, I buy a new pc after 5 years and I time it slightly wrong..... do do I sell my 9800GTX now and lose some cash, to get a 4870. Or should I just hang with my 9800 at the moment? I shall look at some ebay prices tonight I think.....

With your monitor, you will probably not see any benefits.

I just built this system in the last few months but I knew the new cards would be coming out so I stuck with an 8800 GT SC that I got for a decent price.

The 8800 works fine for normal stuff and watching HD/BD content but in terms of gaming I definitely needed/wanted the upgrade. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl simply cannot be seen in all its glory without a more powerful card than the 8800 GT SC. The game looked great with the settings maxxed but I was in danger of having an epileptic seizure from the stuttering when I moved. It was beautiful but unplayable.

The 4870 weighs a ton but it installs easy. Definitely definitely edit the Profiles.xml file and change the fan speed percentage. The card idles at 79C which is far too high. Setting the fan speed percentage to 37 should drop the card down to around the ~48 C area.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back