Quiet - Silent Cpu Heat Sinks

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi all.
After the Aero 7 thread I decided to start this one.

I have the Coolermaster HSC61 ? Anyway its the big solid copper heat pipe heat sink with the 24db fan on it the problem is my cpu under load hits 60 deg C which i am not happy about! I want sub 50. :rolleyes:

The thing is I dont want a heatsink and fan sounding like a plane taking off so i want around 24 db again but with better perfomance.
I tried a 80mm fan with adapter on ny current heat sink though came close to toasting it!

Any suggestions will be good :)

(though i am not sure on the zalman flowers)
THANKS

my FHS is quiet in silent mode and slightly louder in silent mode :)

zalman makes good hsf's :)

the problem with attaching a 'silent' fan on many coolers is they are not desgined for that.. :)

the silent fans sometimes do not produce enough cfm to remove all teh heat and thats why you get a higher temperature..

the flowers are not bad... but don't go for the cheaper 3000 series if possible... they are not polished as well and may require some lapping :)

-edit- btw you can run it in silent mode for your cpu :)

The problem is with my motherboard thee are some capacitors in close range to it. The other thing is i transport my pc quite a bit in long car journeys to university and back so i have always been worred about the heavy heatsinks

Originally posted by indyjones
The problem is with my motherboard thee are some capacitors in close range to it. The other thing is i transport my pc quite a bit in long car journeys to university and back so i have always been worred about the heavy heatsinks

yes.. in that case I would have to say get something other than the zalman 6000 series...

the 3000 series is lower end but it also is within the socket A weight limit.. it runs a little warmer.. but still should be well under the 60c you get sometimes with your silent fan...

consider TRYING it out if you can from your local store.. and if it is not working as advertised.. rma it for something else...

I cant think of a quiet hsf as quiet as the zalman off the top of my head... thermaltakes are more for looks than good cooling.. and are not quiet...

Originally posted by Sazar

I cant think of a quiet hsf as quiet as the zalman off the top of my head... thermaltakes are more for looks than good cooling.. and are not quiet...

Yup, that's so true. My previous heatsink/fan was a Thermaltake ThermoEngine w/ Delta fan. It sounded like a cargo plane and it killed my CPU within 9 months :(
I am now running a Zalman Flower too, and they really do what they say on the tin :D...at least 15 maybe even 20 degs cooler than the Thermaltake, with a fan speed of less than 50% too...

Sazar's right, I too would see if the 3000 series will cut it. They're quality HS/F combos :)

I have seen the Alpha PAL8045 sold with the palst - SP? silent fan it still pushes a fair amount of air, i sway towards this type as they fix to the motherboard instead (through the four holes)
The thermalright looks good as in the one that fixes to your mainboard though on their M/b compatiable list they say for my board "slight capacitor bending needed"

Originally posted by indyjones
I have seen the Alpha PAL8045 sold with the palst - SP? silent fan it still pushes a fair amount of air, i sway towards this type as they fix to the motherboard instead (through the four holes)
The thermalright looks good as in the one that fixes to your mainboard though on their M/b compatiable list they say for my board "slight capacitor bending needed"

read as many reviews as you can :)

I can only tell you to go from my personal experience concerning my computer and others I have built when it comes to heatsinks...

why don't you just run the stock HSF that came with your cpu? there quite and should get you lower temps then the 60 your currently getting....

Originally posted by Sazar
yes.. in that case I would have to say get something other than the zalman 6000 series...

the 3000 series is lower end but it also is within the socket A weight limit.. it runs a little warmer.. but still should be well under the 60c you get sometimes with your silent fan...

consider TRYING it out if you can from your local store.. and if it is not working as advertised.. rma it for something else...

Ill have you know my ternamtake HSF keeps my 3000+ at 42c just cuzz it looks good, doesn't mean you have to hate! :p

Originally posted by Krux
Ill have you know my ternamtake HSF keeps my 3000+ at 42c just cuzz it looks good, doesn't mean you have to hate! :p

my thermaltake is sitting on the kitchen counter :)

my zalman in quiet mode is 5-7 degrees C cooler after I tweaked the positioning... and it looks pretty good too :)

ohh man u have a goober one tho :) I bought a quality one :)

ohh man u have a goober one tho :) I bought a quality one :)

they are all basically the same.. a few changes... a coupla fan changes :)

cooling is not that different...

/me sabotages krux's hsf...

oops... was that your cpu frying :cool:

didn't you have a volcano 6? and yes huh there all different!! the 9 is an aluminum heat sink with a copper insert while the 10 is a low profile all copper quite HSF and the 11 is an all coppper loud ass mofo

Getting back to the topic.

Why hasn't anyone asked indy why he's running so hot? Most newer HS fans (including the stock ones) should bring the CPU to 55 or less. Which is high, but tolerable if your not into radical gaming.

Indy - you never mentioned what your case temperature was. All the CPU HS/fan can do (for the Athlon 2100 which is about the hottest CPU per sq mm of die area) is limit the cpu temp to a 15-20 degree rise above the case temp, which will get 5-15 above room temp depending on how well the case is ventilated.

If the case temp is 40 then 58-60 is as good as the XP 2100 CPU gets. Surfing I run:
Room 25 C
MB case sensor 38
CPU 49 C
things go up 3-4 deg when gaming.

If your case is too hot there are lots of threads in here about optimum case layout and cooling.

didn't you have a volcano 6? and yes huh there all different!! the 9 is an aluminum heat sink with a copper insert while the 10 is a low profile all copper quite HSF and the 11 is an all coppper loud ass mofo

I had a 7+ and a 7 :)

Originally posted by LeeJend
Getting back to the topic.

Why hasn't anyone asked indy why he's running so hot? Most newer HS fans (including the stock ones) should bring the CPU to 55 or less. Which is high, but tolerable if your not into radical gaming.

Indy - you never mentioned what your case temperature was. All the CPU HS/fan can do (for the Athlon 2100 which is about the hottest CPU per sq mm of die area) is limit the cpu temp to a 15-20 degree rise above the case temp, which will get 5-15 above room temp depending on how well the case is ventilated.

If the case temp is 40 then 58-60 is as good as the XP 2100 CPU gets. Surfing I run:
Room 25 C
MB case sensor 38
CPU 49 C
things go up 3-4 deg when gaming.

If your case is too hot there are lots of threads in here about optimum case layout and cooling.

um... reading the original post I assumed the high temps were due to the low cfm provided by the quiet fan being used in conjunction with the heatsink...

:)

I can't even find the Coolermaster HSC61 with heat pipeing.... are ou sure thats the right sink? cuzz its not on there web site.

closes thing I could find was this;

http://www.coolermasterusa.com/Product.aspx?ID=7

with a whopping 14.13 CFM its no wounder your computer is getting that hot. the stock AMD one that should have come with your CPU unless you bought it OEM would cool better then that thing. My guess is that thing was made for the duron. in fact this HSF and one like it but the "performance" serries don't even list what kind of cpu they can handle. I think its a bogus HSF and u should ditch it for anything and u will get better temps.

Ok I reread the original post. 24 DB? That's not a Coolermaster HSC series. That's the HHCL61

http://www.coolermaster.com.hk/product_detail.asp?lang=eng&at=boutique&category_id=1&product_id=12

Forget the case temp comments :eek: I made. That is about half the HSF you need. it's thermal resistance is 0.6 deg C/W. So for an XP 2100 you will get a temp of about .6x65+25 room+10 case = 74 deg C. You should be happy, you're doing much better than that at 60.

The fan is about half the speed/airflow you need to cool a CPU. I noticed that there is no "AMD" approved for rating on either of those HSF in that series. The 6800 rpm fan will be a real screecher so upsizing to the HHC-001 fan will be terrible and trying someone elses fan may not work because the HS design looks like it chokes the air flow.

I'd write that HSF off as a total loss. Get a Volcano 9 with speed control. It's cheap and you can balance speed and temp. to your preferences.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back