Quiet - Silent Cpu Heat Sinks

I've been eyeing the VANTEC AeroFlow VA4-C7040...looks like a pretty solid hsf

Thanks for all the feedback.

it is indeed the coolermaster HHC-L61. I could not rember the name of it but i guess should have looked it up
:rolleyes:

Anyway my case is laid out as well as it can be i do expect it to run hotter than others as it is lined with sound-proofing.

Anyway I dont have the stock HSF as it was an OEM cpu. As saying before i am looking for the quietest situation possible i.e. ~20db with the best possible cooling. But just to be more difficult i would prefer one of the heatsinks that clamp to the main board (through the 4 pick-up holes) and it need to be compatiable with the KR7A-133R Abit boards

Originally posted by indyjones
Thanks for all the feedback.

it is indeed the coolermaster HHC-L61. I could not rember the name of it but i guess should have looked it up
:rolleyes:

Anyway my case is laid out as well as it can be i do expect it to run hotter than others as it is lined with sound-proofing.

Anyway I dont have the stock HSF as it was an OEM cpu. As saying before i am looking for the quietest situation possible i.e. ~20db with the best possible cooling. But just to be more difficult i would prefer one of the heatsinks that clamp to the main board (through the 4 pick-up holes) and it need to be compatiable with the KR7A-133R Abit boards

i would suggest the 3000 series zalman coolers for your pc.. you can run them in silent mode for your pc and they are within amd socket A weight specifications :)

Right At the moment there are two heatsinks that tickle my fancy :rolleyes:

Firstly http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Thermalright_120.html

Or the Alpha PAL8045 (seen it with the following fans below as well)

Both these heatsinks i am looking to use one of the two fans (preferably the top one )

Papst 8412 NGML 80mm fan (4 pin) (FG-000-PA)
Papst make fans of the very highest quality - using the very best components and manufacturing standards to produce performance while reducing noise and vibration.

- CFM = 26.5cfm
- RPM = 2050
- dBA = 19
- Dimensions = 80x80x25

Papst 8412 NG 80mm Fan (4 pin) (FG-001-PA)
Papst make fans of the very highest quality - using the very best components and manufacturing standards to produce performance while reducing noise and vibration.

- CFM = 40.6cfm
- RPM = 3100
- dBA = 32
- Dimensions = 80x80x25

Just read a few reviews on the Zalman 3100 - plus and they were not very promising :( hell 8balls review recommended it just for durons cheers anyway sazar

just go buy a normal-volume fan at radio shack or a store like that for $6 and strap it on there. that's exactly what i've done with my hhc-001. your heatsink is fine (we have the same)... you just need to replace your fan. yours isn't pushing enough air.

I have tried that before using a standard 60mm fan but i was still not impressed by the performance and i do want to keep the noise down. :cool:

Just read a few reviews on the Zalman 3100 - plus and they were not very promising :( hell 8balls review recommended it just for durons cheers anyway sazar

hmmm... the product package said it was good for all athlon's... and silent mode through 2200+

ah well... :) nm... I much rather you had gotten somethng like the 6000... but it is a VERY heavy heatsink :)

the GOOD heatsinks are all going to be a little on the heavy side and the quiet fans are all going to be large.. mine is 92mm... 80mm has a little higher tone.. depends again on the maker...

you basically have to decide on the compromise :)

a lighter and louder hsf... or a heavier/quieter one...

Aye your right :eek:

Anyway this is the beast i am currently thinking of a heavy beast but great reviews and good fixing methods. what do you think its the thermalright 900U

http://www.thermalright.com/slk900.html

I think you could weight lift that mofo lol...

that thing is over 500g's m8 :) BUT it should screw onto the mobo making it less likely to rip the socket off :)

consider a reasonably quiet variable speed 92mm fan if it doesn't ship with it.. and you have a winner right there :)

nice heat sink...

yeah, killer heatsink. i probably would have gotten one awhile back if my board had the 4 mounting holes. :(

and fyi, it doesn't come with a fan of any kind unless the retailer you buy it from happens to sell it with one. either way, definitely go with a 92mm fan. the bigger the fan, the better (more air, less noise). variable speed would be good, too.

there also making a 120mm adapter for that HSF they just haven't released it yet, maybe hold off on it tell they do.

Originally posted by Krux
there also making a 120mm adapter for that HSF they just haven't released it yet, maybe hold off on it tell they do.
eh, that's almost getting a bit extreme for the relatively small cpu. the dead spot under a 120mm fan would almost be the same size as the hot spot on the heatsink. not to mention the weight, mounting screws or not.

but that's just my opinion.

the adapter pulls the fan away from the heat sink to eleminate the dead zone, like thermaltakes ducting mod.

Right time to save the pennys for that then does anyone know of a retailer for it other than www.overclockers.co.uk as they are quite expensive.

An update to my current system i have changed the 60mm fan to a hight RPM one off an old heatsink but my IDLE yes IDLE temp is about 60 deg C if i turn my exhaust fan on i can get it down to 52 but man this is hot considering my motherboard temp is 30!

The other thing i am thinking of is replacing the 80mm fan in the front of my case with the beastly 120mm one, though as I am sad and lovely flashing lights going for a 120mm led fan :rolleyes: this should help things too.

*bump* :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of a retailer that sells these heatsinks in the uk ?

I remember u saying your capacitors are close to your cpu slot. U may want to check thermalright's site to make sure it will fit, if u havent already

Quite right silky62678

My capacitors are close but on the thermalright website it states little or no bending required so it should be fine...... (famous last words)

Just got to see if i cant find it somewhere cheaper first though. I have only found one place to sell them so far :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back