Quiet graphic cards

KidIcarus

still remember xp-rience!
Hi everyone, newbie and just glad to be here.

I am planning to build an SLI system.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some quiet graphic cards in the 6600GT or 6800GT range.

Also would 2 6600GTs be quieter than a 6800GT?

Would appreciate any help I can get on this as I'm about to make a purchase in the next couple of days. Hopefully, the system shouldn't sound too much like a Dyson!

Thanks!

Not sure what the stock cooling solutions are like on those cards.
For a single card, the nvsilencer is a great solution, but too big for sli setups from what I hear.

Hate to say this, but I think you will have trouble adapting from stock in this situation.... Not entirely sure I can give any advice - I have moved away somewhat from my silencing aims and compromised a bit (looking now at upgrading my speakers to cover the humming and whooshing)

Hate to do this too - but have a look over here where I think you will find many people both interested and informed to help you if you care to register and post, even if you just conduct some searches you are likely to turn up interesting silencing tips. The forum is nothing like OSNN of course - these guys become somewhat focussed on this one aspect (and boy can they obsess about it!).

Quietest solution would be single card with a passive heat pipe setup. SLI is too crowded for a passive solution. Also, 2 slower cards will generate more heat than a single faster card so you will need higher airflow through the case.

KidIcarus said:
Hi everyone, newbie and just glad to be here.

I am planning to build an SLI system.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some quiet graphic cards in the 6600GT or 6800GT range.

Also would 2 6600GTs be quieter than a 6800GT?

Would appreciate any help I can get on this as I'm about to make a purchase in the next couple of days. Hopefully, the system shouldn't sound too much like a Dyson!

Thanks!

water cool :lick:

I did see a really really awesome sli watercooling solution, but I doubt it is retail yet.

2nv68s2.jpg

gwsli1.jpg

thats nice. SLI will be in my next machine but im with mainframeguy
I have moved away somewhat from my silencing aims and compromised a bit

if you find a soultion that doesnt cost you a kidney please share it

Thanks for all the useful suggestions. To be honest I'm not going to start messing about with multipliers, water cooling or anything. I'm just hoping to put something together in the hope that it'll POST first time!

This is the first PC I'm attempting to build from scratch (the last time I viewed the innards of a computer was when I installed a Gameblaster soundcard onto my 286 AT w/ 1MB ram!!!) so I'm looking into a decent "compromise" system that I could be proud off..

ps that's one crazy cooling solution

I am happy with the balance I have.
When its my Aquagate on it's lowest setting, I know I have reached the limit, especially when most people are happy with the medium settings.

I am pretty happy with my setups. I'm sure others would not like them. But I use to have a gaming machine with a Vantec Tornado 82mm so anything is quieter then that. :)

Right now I just have a Panaflo 120mm for the CPU and 2 case fans, and my Thermaltake 480w PSU turned all the way down.

For a PCI Express card I can tell you that the eVGA 6600GT I bought is NOT quiet in the Dell 4700 case I put it in. I think some of the problem may be the air holes in the case that are adjacent to where the card mounts. Maybe it wouldn't be so noisy in the side of the case were solid in that area and the air came in (or out?) from a different area.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back