Quicktime quandry

Funkyb

Simple
Simple one realy. I want to know where the quicktime internet plugin's cache store the clips it shows on the web. I want to be able to store stuff like movie trailers on my pc and not have to download them evertime I want to watch a .mov trailer.

I think there is a checkbox to fill out to save em... I normally save most of them as I go... otherwise look for .mov or .qt in your internet cache.

As punk says, I'm sure there's something in the options regarding it.

If you buy (yes, buy....yeck, I know) QuickTime Pro, you can simply save the movies right off the page.

if you dont have the pro version which is what allows you to save them from the little embedded player then they usually get stuck in the temp internet files for msie or wherever your browser caches files

They are downloaded into Temporary Internet Files, as Geffy said.

The path is c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\temporary internet files

Thanks for the advice but it looks like the trailer I am after is a sly bugger. I have switched on the save in cache thingy but I dont have pro version. Most of the trailers I have are stuck in the temp directory but the one for 'I, Robot' isnt. www.irobotmovie.com for anybody who wants to give it a go.

Found it.

I can't really explain this, but the file did stay in the folder that I mentioned above, with your username in place of "user" in the directory. What I can't explain is that when I browsed for the file, I couldn't find it, but when I did a search in that folder for ".mov" it came up.

Be sure and leave your browser window open with the quicktime file fully downloaded, just to be sure that it isn't flushed out of the cache when you close the window... then try the search.

By the way, I'm looking forward to this film. :)

Thanks for the advice Muzikool but the only .mov file I find is a 2kb shortcut to that makes me access the video again. Bugga.
Suppose they just dont want me to have it

Hmm... sorry I can't explain what the deal is. Wish I could upload it here for you to get, but it's a bit too large.

Funkyb,

Normally, those 2k files are shortcuts that point to the final location of the .mov file. Try opening the 2k shortcut in a text editor. It should contain a link to the full .mov file.

From there, you can either open that link from the text file in your browser and see if quicktime will then cache the full movie or, my preference is to write a plain old static .html page with the link to the move. Then you can do a right-click/save as.. from any browser.

SPeedY_B said:
As punk says, I'm sure there's something in the options regarding it.

If you buy (yes, buy....yeck, I know) QuickTime Pro, you can simply save the movies right off the page.

I know this is odd but has anyone ever noticed that if you install quicktime alternative it registers quick time ?

fitz said:
Funkyb,

Normally, those 2k files are shortcuts that point to the final location of the .mov file. Try opening the 2k shortcut in a text editor. It should contain a link to the full .mov file.

From there, you can either open that link from the text file in your browser and see if quicktime will then cache the full movie or, my preference is to write a plain old static .html page with the link to the move. Then you can do a right-click/save as.. from any browser.

Nice job fitz, I never even thought about that! :D

Funkyb said:
I like your style fitz. Straight in, first post and my problem solved.

yeah, I actually wasn't going to sign up at all. But this was a problem I actually knew how to fix and I figured I would share my knowledge.

BTW - similiar things can be done with the .asx and .wmf files

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back