Quicktime - please no iTunes

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
OK, I am not optimistic about the outcome from this thread, but show me I am wrong....

Friend sent me a link (here if you're curious) which was a no go unsurprisingly for me under Ubuntu. I go there again from XP, and Ffox wants to plug in Quicktime, again no surprise and not the question.

I can select the manual install and here comes the issue - if I take Quicktime now I get iTunes and this is not optional. I know enough about iTunes that I am not letting that in - so can anyone tell me a way to get it without? Kinda like you can get back releases of some other stuff where it is the way you want (albeit unsupported). Alternatively a way to get the media and convert, but I think the link is streaming and that could be a long way around the problem.

/me waits to be surprised - or not....

I don't know that you can get the current version of QT without installing iTunes as well. You could find an earlier version of QT without it.

bah, I use the real QT and ITUNES.

That QT alternative was fun and all but got tired of using the classic WMP they use for it.

:)

Yeah you can get Quicktime without iTunes, but not the other way around :(

Edit: Nevermind, Mastershakes found the trick. I think I might just use that.

Nice surprises for once - I think I may not be alone in finding this thread was useful... just got to watch the movie short - it's a bit of a bummer though ;)

Mastershakes said:
That QT alternative was fun and all but got tired of using the classic WMP they use for it.

:)
qt alternative installs the dshow codec, so you can play with pretty much any player :)

imho media player classic is the best player there is

Probably a dumb question, but please forgive me :)

I don't use QT at all, and probably never will. If I install the iTunes, using the link above that lets you install without QT incase the QT alternative is used, will it still function properly? Or, will it keep prompting me to install something QT related?

Again, forgive my sillyneess :p

Can we install iTunes without QuickTime coz I just want the iTUnes however I always got QuickTime installed in my comp but I dont want that anyways

wwwdjrcs said:
Probably a dumb question, but please forgive me :)

I don't use QT at all, and probably never will. If I install the iTunes, using the link above that lets you install without QT incase the QT alternative is used, will it still function properly? Or, will it keep prompting me to install something QT related?

Again, forgive my sillyneess :p

I'm not sure. Excellent question, will research it.

EDIT - It looks like it's completely stripped of QT - and you just need to make sure you have QT alt. installed before you use it. I don't know if ITunes has an autoupdate feature (I imagine it does) - but it probably can be turned off?
Best guess at this point, couldn't find much solid info on the MSFN Forums.

duysibo said:
Can we install iTunes without QuickTime coz I just want the iTUnes however I always got QuickTime installed in my comp but I dont want that anyways

Yes - Link from above post

Last edited:
Mastershakes said:
I'm not sure. Excellent question, will research it.

EDIT - It looks like it's completely stripped of QT - and you just need to make sure you have QT alt. installed before you use it. I don't know if ITunes has an autoupdate feature (I imagine it does) - but it probably can be turned off?
Best guess at this point, couldn't find much solid info on the MSFN Forums.

I'll have to play with this and find out. As soon as my new PC comes in, this baby is getting turned into a test box, w00t :smoker:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back