Quick proxy question

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
So work went overboard and blocked everything thats any fun at the firewall; gmail, myspace, youtube etc. I've used proxies in the past to get around it but only to see your everyday generic sites, never to check email or anything that I'd have to login to. Assuming I want to start checking my email through the proxy, does anyone know how secure it is? I'm trying not to sound paranoid here but I have limited experience in this area and don't know who or what I can trust.

Thanks

Honestly I would be more concerned with what happens if you get caught at work rather than how secure a proxy is. You are more than likely violating company policy for internet usage if you are circumventing controls they have put in place. That is your call if you want to proceed, but be sure to do so at your own risk.

With regards to security, it would probably depend on which service/product/company you use the proxy server/settings from - which did you have in mind?

ask them if it can be put on a time restricted system, meaning you can use any of those sites if its your dinner(lunch) break, where as most companies i have worked for dont pay you for that 30mins/60mins

ask them if it can be put on a time restricted system, meaning you can use any of those sites if its your dinner(lunch) break, where as most companies i have worked for dont pay you for that 30mins/60mins
that's a good point, I just set that up for someone over the weekend actually.

I generally just use on of the sites listed on http://proxy.org. But you see stuff like www.free-myspace-unblocker.info listed and it just screams scam to me. URL's aren't supposed to be that specific. At any rate, I'm not too concerned about the job situation, the network administrator put the filters in place only cause he was forced to. No one ever checks the logs (I don't even know how to) and besides, I live in the middle of nowhere. Skilled technicians aren't exactly growing on trees here.

Well then I guess proceed at your own risk. I would just be careful what you do over them, but then again myspace and facebook aren't anything to worry about when it comes to security anyways ;)

What does a skilled technician growing on a tree look like?

What does a skilled technician growing on a tree look like?

If I knew I'd tell ya.

I swear I'm the only one who has any idea whats going on. There are 9 of us total, I'm the only one who came in today.

I think my company is heading in this direction... They're starting to lock down all desktops so that we can't change any settings or install software. Not sure how far they'll go in terms of lock down, maybe they'll overlook the settings part. lol

Lockdown is a popular topic these days, but at my company we actually were looking into and testing it for near a year. We had to cancel it in the end because there are far too many segments of the company that just can't operate like that and it would have been more of a headache than it's worth. As an alternative we are going to look into black/white listing for installed apps, which is better than what we have now (nothing) :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back