quick help needed...win95 "talking" to xp

apu95

Caffeine-->Code Converter
im doing a tech job for a friend, and he has an old win95 laptop that he wants networked with a winxp pc. the setup he has is as follows:

winxp pc--->router--->internet
|
hub--> win95 laptop

the hub is there cuz the cat5 cable wont reach, and the laptop doesnt have a NIC per se, it has a pcmcia card which is hooked up to the hub.

anyways, ive managed to obtain an ip address in the laptop, and if i ping the router and/or winxp pc, it works. the problem is that i cant see the files that the winxp pc is sharing. both of them have shared files, and if i look at the winxp pc, it can see the shares from the win95 pc. however, if i go into network neighbourhood in the win95 pc, it stays stuck with the little flashlight animation and doesnt find anything.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance,
Apu

I take it the hub is connected to the router and not the XP computer?

Windows 95 uses an older method of file sharing, which among other things is very insecure. This is why it has problems reading an XP share. I'm not sure if there is a way around it, but if there is I can't remember it. Maybe someone else does?

ah, i figured it out...i did it correctly, but zonealarm wasnt telling me about the ip of the laptop going into the computer. i stumbled onto it while looking at the log...i let the laptop in and now everything works, whoo!

thanks for the reply zedric

i think i had a similar problem last year when i was TA, a teacher wanted me to share a printer on a windows xp machine , and the printer is connected to a win98 machine, but it wouldn't work and the tech teacher said that xp can't read from a lower level machine something like that maybe that's the problem, why dont you just get a new computer btw instead of the win95 i mean it's like a classic now people would pay you to take it from you

FishBoy said:
i think i had a similar problem last year when i was TA, a teacher wanted me to share a printer on a windows xp machine , and the printer is connected to a win98 machine, but it wouldn't work and the tech teacher said that xp can't read from a lower level machine something like that

That's not true, I know because I had something similiar, until I was able to get a comp that would run xp. Altho is wasnt running 95 but 98SE.

well i didn't know a lot by then in computers, that was like sometimes in april i think, and i trusted the tech teacher on what he said but he's old and i dont think he's that good ask themafia he's better than the teacher lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back