Quick Cable Question

xsivforce

Prodigal Son
With the Comp on and nothing(i.e. nothing internet related) running, why does the data light on my cable modem blink randomly like it was sending or receiving? I know it is probably nothing but, I am curious.

Flash modem light

This is perfectly normal. Quite a few things are going on in the background, whether you use the cable modem or not. Periodic ranging, station maintenance, software upgrade, SNMP, DHCP renewal etc. Also your cable company may have an automatic ping setup, so the blinking light is from when your modem is getting pinged by your cable company or by someone else. If you don't have a firewall I suggest you get one. I use Kerio personal Firewall, it's free and you can get it here:
http://www.kerio.com/parser/mainpage.php?id=209&lg=1

Thanks Sage. I figured it was nothing but thought I would check. I use Norton Internet Security. Thanks for the link. One day I will not want to pay to renew. ;)

Yeah, most cable modems are supposed to not have the activity light and such blink if it's just a multicast network packet not meant for you, but most modems don't have that feature enabled, so as long as the modem is plugged in and there is traffic on the physical network it can blink :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back