Quick Cable Question

xsivforce

Prodigal Son
With the Comp on and nothing(i.e. nothing internet related) running, why does the data light on my cable modem blink randomly like it was sending or receiving? I know it is probably nothing but, I am curious.

S

Sage

Flash modem light

This is perfectly normal. Quite a few things are going on in the background, whether you use the cable modem or not. Periodic ranging, station maintenance, software upgrade, SNMP, DHCP renewal etc. Also your cable company may have an automatic ping setup, so the blinking light is from when your modem is getting pinged by your cable company or by someone else. If you don't have a firewall I suggest you get one. I use Kerio personal Firewall, it's free and you can get it here:
http://www.kerio.com/parser/mainpage.php?id=209&lg=1

xsivforce

Prodigal Son
Thanks Sage. I figured it was nothing but thought I would check. I use Norton Internet Security. Thanks for the link. One day I will not want to pay to renew. ;)

Qumahlin

OSNN Veteran Addict
Yeah, most cable modems are supposed to not have the activity light and such blink if it's just a multicast network packet not meant for you, but most modems don't have that feature enabled, so as long as the modem is plugged in and there is traffic on the physical network it can blink :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut