Question

Sinster

OSNN Senior Addict
I know this has been asked before I just couldn't find it during my search.

I have a Dell here at work and would like to reformat the HDD this bad boy. Can this be done? I very much dislike the propaganda thats install on these Dells. Also the disc they give you for the recovery disc is this the "Full" version of XP?

I think Dell provides it's own version of the XP install disc. If you want to reformat and install without restoring the computer to the original factor settings, then you need to boot to the XP disc and use its setup dialogs to reformat the drive and install a fresh copy of Windows. This will just put Windows XP on the machine, leaving off the extra junk that Dell (or any manufacturer) provides with the machine.

Depending what your workplace is like, the IT guys might get really p**sed if you reformat a machine.

btw, Brilliant thread title.

if you could get your hands on a winxp oem disc, you could just use the key on the side of the case

or did dell change the way they do things?
i know gateway has a restore dvd (a ghost image)

How did you plan on re-installing Office and any other work software?

jimi_81 said:
or did dell change the way they do things?
i know gateway has a restore dvd (a ghost image)
I don't know about the desktops, but my Inspiron 5100, which I bought two and half years ago, and my dad's 700m, which is quite recent, came with a OEM XP CD that doesn't install any of the "extras"
I can't stand Recovery Disks. Really glad to have just an XP CD.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back