[Question] Overclocking and voltage settings

D

deadzombie

I have an AthlonXP 2100+ on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard.
I havenever overclocked an Athlon before, but I've been thinking about taking the dive.

So who can explain how to adjust voltage settings? I've read several reviews of people overclocking various AthlonXP chips, nudging the FSB, installing proper cooling and such...and they always talk about having to increase the voltage to the chip.

Unfortunatly, they never explain how, why or what the scale is to increase voltage per speed increase. Would someone in the know be kind enough to help an overclocking n00b out?

Overclocking an amd chip is a balance between multiplier and fsb settings. I don't know much about these chips but I'm pretty sure that your board will unlock this chip if it is a thoroughbred. Hence no multiplier unlocking needs to be done.

Just push your fsb up or multiplier up slowly, if it locks up when booting give it some more voltage, but not too much, you don't want to fry your chip. Remember to watch your temps.
www.overclockers.com and their forums are a great source of information for newbies, so take a look rather than taking it from an intel person like me :)

Thanks for the quick reply..reading through the information available there...learning a thing or 2 ;)

Most modern mobo's allow the adjustment of many voltages in the BIOS.

Well as you increase the FSB your chip will become more unstable, so the increase in voltage helps show your chip who is Boss.

I have a 1.6 ghz P4, and I can take it up to 1.8ghz at normal(1.7V) voltage.

But if I want to take it up to 1.9ghz I usually raise the voltage to 1.75. Not sure if thats more than needed but it works fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back