Question on a MSI board

tom9042

OSNN Senior Addict
My wife's computer has a MSI K7 Master, (MS-6341) motherboard. The CPU is an Athlon 1.4Gig. I wanted to see the temperature of the CPU and downloaded the latest MSI software, PC Alert 4. I can see the temperature in the BIOS area, but PC Alert 4 does not show any of the readings. It says "empty" on all the places where the readings should be.

Question: Is anybody using this program from the maker of the board? Are there other programs that will read the temperatures from a MSI board?

MSI says you can get the temperature from the BIOS. How convenient -- every hour or two I can reboot my system to check the temperature. Please let me know if I have an alternative. I want to know the CPU temperature, so I can add my wife's computer to the Folding @ Home project for OSNN.net.

you have 2 choices...

either use a secondary application such as MBM or something which can potentially read the bios readings and give you a readout... or install a thermal diode in a manner where you can get a reading yourself...

do a google for MBM and you should be able to get more info on it... I am currently a little pre-occupied with a couple of tasks else I would grab it for you :cool:

Thanks Sazar, MBM supports that board. I'll give it a try.

If you fancy a more detailed program that will give you a load of other info too Lavalys' Everest is great.

Has a useful Sensor section

PC Alert works fine on the MSI board that I have kicking around here.

dreamliner77 said:
PC Alert works fine on the MSI board that I have kicking around here.
I think the original version worked for me on the board before I gave it to my wife. I remember getting the temperature, because it was always running hot. I think the old version doesn't work well with WindowsXP. The new PC Alert just didn't pick up the temperatures.

I downloaded MBM and it runs fine. The Athlon runs hot at 53 degrees centigrade. I'm getting my wife a new case next week at a computer show. I built hers out of spare stuff and it's a frankenstein. IF I can get the temperature down I can use it to fold in the Folding@home project for ONSS.net.

Moonwrith -- I looked at Lavalys' Everest. It looks pretty good. You should add it to the free software thread.

don't buy a new case simply for a regular athlon...

consider making a purchase along with a complete system upgrade in mind... thats generally the best route to contemplate...

What kind of heatsink do you have on your CPU. If you know how, if stock perhaps replacing it or just redoing the thermal paste/pad might help a bit.

Sazar said:
don't buy a new case simply for a regular athlon...

consider making a purchase along with a complete system upgrade in mind... thats generally the best route to contemplate...

Generally you're correct. But I like to put computers together and I get the new one and then give mine to my wife and her's goes to my stepson. When she got my Athlon 1.4gig, she had an old case which I never changed. I'll probably get a case which I could use for an Athlon 64 next Spring or Summer and give mine to my wife for the Athlon 1.4. They all bitch that they are getting hand me downs, but they're always getting a better machine than they had. And I'm the one paying for all the computers.

As for Xie's question, I have a stock AMD heatsink, but I am using Artic Silver II paste.

By the way Xie, have you ever gone to the computer show in Edison? I've been going for ten years. It's one of the oldest in the USA. I think they're getting smaller, since people are using the internet for buying (as I also do). But it's nice to see and touch.

tom9042 said:
By the way Xie, have you ever gone to the computer show in Edison? I've been going for ten years. It's one of the oldest in the USA. I think they're getting smaller, since people are using the internet for buying (as I also do). But it's nice to see and touch.
Where is Edison? If it's near NYC/NJ nope. I'm from upstate NY. ;)

*edit* - Someone (forgot the name) puts on a computer show @ fair grounds here couple times a year. I've gone once or twice and I agree it's nice to be able to mess with stuff. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back