Question about USB hubs

belveder

OSNN Senior Addict
Question about USB hubs I have an external hard drive connected to my router through usb. When I have copied what I want to watch to the hard drive through the router I have to disconnect the usb from the router and plug it into my home cinema to what it on the tv

what I am wondering is if I get a usb hub (or something similar recommended here) can I plug a usb from the router and a usb from the home cinema to the hub and then a usb from the hub to the hard drive. In doing so could I then have files copying from my pc to the hard drive through the router while watching stuff already on the hard drive?

Any help appreciated

I don't think you can connect a hub to the router. I could be wrong, but I have never heard of that .. Also, I am not quite sure what you are asking. Can you try to rephrase it please?

Some routers do have USB and it can basically serve two purposes. By attaching a USB HDD you turn it into a NAS or sometimes you can connect a printer and make the router act as a print server.

What the OP wants to basically do is split the USB between the router AND his home cinema, so he doesn't have to disconnect and reconnect all the time.

Can you do this? The answer would be no. First of all a USB hub doesn't work like that and secondly you may damage the hard drive as it's receiving power from two sources.

My question is why do you have to connect the drive to your router, why not connect it directly to your PC?

I know that some routers do have usb ports on them. My interpretation was that he wanted to hook a usb hub to the router. Which is something I never heard of ..

sorry never tried that before ? i will try if i have opportunity
now waiting for your good news
hope u will success

logo.gif

I know that some routers do have usb ports on them. My interpretation was that he wanted to hook a usb hub to the router. Which is something I never heard of ..

Ah, I believe some routers can use a USB hub to connect 2 HDDs but in terms of sharing one device between two hosts I don't think you could do that.

Only ways is if someone made a type of A/B switch for USB.

Ah, I believe some routers can use a USB hub to connect 2 HDDs but in terms of sharing one device between two hosts I don't think you could do that.

Only ways is if someone made a type of A/B switch for USB.

You have me interested now. i am going to do some research on this. :)

thanks for the replies, I didn't think it could be done that's why I asked first lol. My tv, home cinema and hard drive are in a different room, a little far away for a usb cable, my lounge is central in the house so I have my router in there, that's why the hard drive is able to be plugged into the router and home cinema, it works quite well copying from the pc to the hard drive through the router wirelessly:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back